Wallace Stegner Fellowship at Stanford University, USA
Wallace Stegner Fellowship 2018-20 in USA
Unique among writing programs, Stanford offers ten two-year fellowships each year, five in fiction and five in poetry. All the fellows in each genre convene weekly in a 3-hour workshop with faculty. Fellows are regarded as working artists, intent upon practicing and perfecting their craft. The only requirements are workshop attendance and writing. The program offers no degree.
In awarding fellowships, we consider the quality of the candidate’s creative work, potential for growth and ability to contribute to and profit from our writing workshops. The Stanford Creative Writing Program’s students are diverse in style and experience, with talent and seriousness the true common denominators.
To be a Stegner Fellow:
- Wallance Stegner Fellowship do not require any degrees or tests for admission
- no school of writing is favored over any other
- chronological age is not a consideration
Fellowships include a living stipend of $26,000 per year. In addition, fellows’ tuition and health insurance are paid for by the Creative Writing Program. The Stegner Fellowship is a full-time academic commitment, and is not intended to be pursued concurrently with another degree program. Fellows must live close enough to Stanford to be able to attend workshops, readings, and events.
- Fellowships include a living stipend of $26,000 per year
- In addition, fellows’ tuition and health insurance are paid for by the Creative Writing Program
- Your biographical information (including education and publications)
- Contact information for two recommends (letters of recommendation not accepted)
- Statement of plans (.doc/.pdf)
- Manuscript (.doc/.pdf) fiction up to 9,000 words, poetry up to 15 pages
- Credit card for application fee
Deadline: 1st December 2017