Information Specialist position is available in the Office of Student Billing and Payment Services.
This position operates with two other information specialists working under the Manager of Customer Service to provide the first line of service to the more than 22,000 unique students who attend Georgetown University each year, as well as the parents, guardians and other third parties associated with students, such as financial advisors, 529 plans, scholarship-granting organizations, banks, credit card companies.
- Respond to student financial inquiries, provision of financial counseling, suggestion of payment options, and provision of general assistance in financial and non-financial matters.
- Answer questions about student accounts, payment plan options, the processing of scholarship funds, and student obligations to perform certain functions on the web as it relates to their university account.
- Moreover, explain departmental policies and practices for instance, billing, tuition assessment, financial aid disbursement, refunding of overpayment, and assessment of financial penalties clearly and concisely.
- Receive, handle and communicate regarding, all paper paychecks issued by the university for students, staff, faculty, and vendors.
- In addition, act as the primary point of contact between OSBPS and the Payroll and Accounts Payable departments. Keeping detailed and accurate records, and reconciling those records to GMS reports.
- Furthermore, draft, communicate, and enforce check distribution policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Business, Finance, and/or Accounting
- Two years of progressively responsible experience in a business office (in a complex organization) is desired; Experience in higher education is desired
- Proficiency with Google Apps and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Preference for experience with student record systems (particularly Ellucian’s Banner), billing and payment systems (preferably Touchnet’s Bill+Payment or Cashiering software suites), and/or financial record systems (preferably Workday Financials).
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Also, ability to work collaboratively with other staff members and persons outside the department
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline filled environment that is continually changing
- Possession of strong organizational and time management skills
- Similarly, self-motivated, pro-active and result oriented personality
- Detailed knowledge of accounts receivable
- Limited knowledge of financial aid, payroll, and accounts payable
- Ability to multi-task, to remain calm and organized when confronted with deadlines and frequent interruptions