Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs is required at the Law Center of Georgetown University.
The Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs will lead the successful operation of both JD and LLM academic programs. As an integral part of senior leadership, this posit ion provides strategic vision and direction in the administration of academic policy along with departmental planning and management. With a major focus on the organization and delivery of academic services the incumbent will complete mission relevant projects and initiatives in support of Faculty, Staff, and Student academic success. This position will work in close partnership and coordination with the Assistant Dean for Curriculum Design, a peer who works with full-time faculty and sets the over-arching strategy for the curriculum.
This position is responsible for managing the integration, standardization , and administration of academic policy, academic advising, course evaluations , class scheduling, the production of handbooks and teaching tools, compliance with ABA and bar requirement s, academic appointments, learning outcomes, outcomes assessment, and various academic events. Additionally, the incumbent will serve as an important leader in the University community by participating on executive committees to develop and negotiate academic programming and technology.
- Establish and implement an academic strategic plan for all JD and LLM operations and services.
- Serve as head of Office of Academic Affairs.
- Design and maintain an organizational structure to effectively accomplish organizational goals and objectives.
- Recruit, supervise, and develop staff.
- Consistently assess workload and revaluate processes for best practice and time management.
- Coordinate direct reports and indirect reports across multiple offices at the Law Center to ensure consistent practice and procedures are administered.
- Set milestones and measurements to best understand and evaluate academic units.
- Finance and budgeting to include developing and managing departmental budget and periodic cost and productivity analysis.
- Create pathways that guide students through course requirements and towards academic success.
- Develop teaching resources to provide to academic managers, academic support, and instructors.
- Build and deploy operational plan for orientations and other information sessions.
Qualifications and Requirements
- JD required with at least 8 years of progressively responsible experience leading and managing complex legal functions and teams
- Previous experience leading, developing, or administering academic programs
- Must have proven ability to assemble, lead, and inspire a diverse staff with a strong sense of integrity, respect for differing points of view and plan to deliver large-scale projects involving a large staff and best use of technology
- Experience with organizational development, streamlining of historical process, strategic planning and outstanding written and oral communication skills are all necessary
- Ability to say no with grace, deliver difficult news and manage difficult conversations with faculty, staff and students is particularly important
- Must be able to work independently, effectively, and collegially with faculty, deans, staff, and administrators
- Strong commitment to outstanding service required.
- Strong technological sophistication with working knowledge and/or prior use of Banner, Cognos, SQL, Microsoft Access, and other Microsoft suite of products, Gsuite apps, and other databases is strongly preferred
- Capacity to use leading edge technology to improve processes and deliverables
- Proven track record of integrating disparate technology solutions is strongly desired