Jobs at the University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
The University of Sharjah is an Emirati private national university located in University City, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. The University of Sharjah was ranked as the 551st best university by QS. According to the Webometrics Ranking of World Universities, the University of Sharjah is ranked 6th in the United Arab Emirates, and 3821st worldwide in 2014. The university is also ranked by SCImago Institutions Rankings in 2013 as 4th in the United Arab Emirates, 149th regionally, and 2345th worldwide
The University of Sharjah is seeking motivated, dynamic and highly qualified Dean for the College of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences. The Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences is in charge of all academic aspects related to the College and reports directly to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs. The Dean assumes a leadership role in the College and administers, directs, and coordinates all training, teaching, and research activities in which the College engages. He/She also provides guidance for implementing the College Strategic Plan and ensures that the College activities coincide with the mission and objectives of the University within the socio-cultural framework of the United Arab Emirates and the Arab Gulf region.
Roles and responsibilities
- Create and sustain a strong network outside the College with the aim of facilitating the process of education and training and research activities.
- Establish strategic directives, aims, and policies related to the educational process and research activities within the College and its departments and oversee the implementation of these objectives.
- Represent the University in all matters related to the College at various conferences and symposiums outside the University.
- Propose recommendations related to developing and implementing the College Annual Budget and conduct analyses of productivity and effectiveness on a regular basis.
- Create a network of experts and visiting professors to support the educational and research activities of the College and its sustainability.
- Propose recommendations related to developing University policies and procedures and participate in this process.
- Coordinate agreements with ministries and relevant bodies within the UAE and abroad.
- Possess knowledge of human resources and management concepts as well as higher education practices, policies, and procedures.
- Propose research projects relevant to the region and its development.
- Possess excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural and diverse community.
- Possess experience in communicating and networking with relevant institutions with the aim of promoting education and research.
- Be an expert in matters dealing with external institutions and organizations as well as international accreditation bodies.
- A Ph.D. from a recognized university.
- The rank of professor in one of the College’s specializations.
- A record of excellence in teaching and research appropriate to the rank of professor in one of the College’s specializations.
- Bi-lingual proficiency in English and Arabic conversation and writing.
- Leadership qualities and proven research background in one of the College’s specializations.
- A clear vision for developing higher education in general and for the College in particular.
- Full familiarity with the credit hour and academic year (semester) system.
- Distinguished managerial experience in the affairs of higher education, preferably at the level of a college dean in a reputable university.
- Experience with the standards of program accreditation by specialized commissions at national education institutions.
- Acumen in the area of human resources and administrative and financial concepts, practices, policies, and procedures.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work effectively with large sectors of a diverse community.
- Experience in communicating with universities, professional and academic institutions, associations, unions, companies and business administration institutions, and other institutions within the field of education and research.