Job vacancy at the University of Kentucky, Lexington, United States
Position: Professor in Interior Design at the School of Interiors: Planning, Strategy, and Design
- Overseeing the operational and fiscal management of the school.
- Continually evaluate the effectiveness of courses, the program, and the curriculum as well as developing schedules and faculty teaching assignments.
- Recruiting new faculty, making recommendations to the Dean regarding faculty appointments, promotions, and dismissals.
- Similarly, overseeing the faculty performance review process, and clearly communicating to faculty the specific University and College policies that inform the process.
- Actively guiding faculty members through the tenure/promotion process and supporting their ongoing efforts to advance scholarly and creative activities.
- Inspiring morale and ensuring that all faculty are offered privileges and responsibilities appropriate to their rank.
- Overseeing the ongoing assessment, development, and implementation of the School, College, and University Strategic Plans.
- Participating in the development and implementation of College policies, procedures, and guidelines;
- Establishing and evaluating School policies and procedures.
- Representing the School and College to external constituencies including alumni, members of the interior design profession, other university units and potential donors.
- Identifying and pursuing external funding opportunities in support of the School and College mission in cooperation with designated development staff. Also, maintaining currency in teaching and learning and a scholarly agenda, including continued research and publication or distinguished practice.
- Teaching one (1) course within the discipline per academic year.
- Ensuring compliance with SACS and CIDA accreditation guidelines. Also, facilitating the resolution of issues and problems that may arise between faculty, staff, and students;
- Serving on University and College-wide committees.
- Fostering interdepartmental collaboration and continuing to enhance the reputation of the University of Kentucky College of Design School of Interiors in academic and professional circles; and
- Working with the Recruitment Officer to recruit talented undergraduate and graduate students.
In order to be fit for the role, the candidate must have the following requirements
- A professional degree in interior design or related field (BA, BS, MA, MS) and a terminal degree (Master’s post-professional or Doctorate) in interior design or related field. However, nationally or internationally recognized professional work may be considered as a substitution for the terminal degree requirement.
- Nationally and/or internationally recognized high-quality teaching and research experience or distinguished practice. However, a candidate must meet the requirements for the rank of tenured Associate or Full Professor at the University of Kentucky.
- In addition to that, evidence of design excellence and an awareness and understanding of issues in interior design practice and academia.
- Proven leadership and managerial skills as well as teaching experience in higher education.
- Similarly, knowledge and understanding of a wide range of instructional systems development, training methods, techniques, and formats.
- Experience with curriculum development. Similarly, the ability to motivate students and faculty to think creatively and critically.
- Knowledge of the requirements of accreditation agencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of students, faculty, staff, and constituencies in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural community. Also, skill in budget preparation and management.