The United Nations University announces a vacancy opening for the position of Program Associate in Bonn, Germany. The incumbent will join the United Nations Institute for Environment and Human Security (UN-EHS).
The Program Associate will be performing the following duties under the authority of the Director of UNU-EHS and the supervision of Head of the GLOMOS Bonn office,
- Developing and designing research questions and scientific projects with the GLOMOS team as well as doing documentation and information management of scientific GLOMOS activities.
- Support ongoing scientific project activities and the communication and dissemination of GLOMOS activities and project results including the provision of web content.
- Taking part in planning, organization, and documentation of GLOMOS events, conferences, and strategic meetings.
- Similarly, support the establishment, maintenance, and documentation of networks and relationships with other international actors and institutions active in the area of mountain research
- Contributing to fund-raising activities for the GLOMOS program. Similarly, contributing to the implementation and administration of an academic Ph.D. program related to the research agenda of the GLOMOS program.
- Assisting in the administration and financial operations of GLOMOS in accordance with UNU’s policies, United Nations Financial Rules and Regulations (UNFRR) and established operational procedures, and ensure that proper and accurate accounting records are maintained
- Also, assisting in monitoring financial and project budgetary status of projects and provide officers responsible with information as required
- Assisting in the preparation of financial reports in accordance with the terms and conditions of donor contracts
- Furthermore, aiding in the mission travel, input and process travel requests in close collaboration with the GLOMOS office in Bolzano and the finance and administration unit at UNU-EHS.
Candidates applying for this vacancy at United Nations University Institute of Environment and Human Security must have following qualifications
- Advanced university degree or equivalent in a scientific discipline relevant for the thematic areas of GLOMOS, preferably in the area of natural sciences. In addition to that, at least 2 (two) years of professional experience related to project/program support or implementation, preferably in an international and multicultural environment.
- Excellent communication and writing skills with respect to scientific as well as non-scientific texts.
- Fluency in English is mandatory for the position but fluency in German as well is highly desirable. In addition to that, knowledge in any additional language, especially French, Spanish, or Russian, is an asset
- Previous experience in research and scientific project management preferably in an international and multi-cultural environment preferred.
- Furthermore, familiarity with mountain environments and with existing international mountain research networks and related scientific institutions would be an asset.
Follow the official link for more information.
The United Nations University (UNU) is the academic and research arm of the United Nations. It is headquartered in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan, with diplomatic status as a UN institution. Since 2010, UNU has been authorized by the United Nations General Assembly to grant degrees. It also provides a bridge between the UN and the international academic, policy-making and private sector communities.
UNU Institute of Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS) is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training Institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks.