Research Job at the University of Melbourne
Position: Research Fellow in Distributed Autonomous System at the Melbourne School of Engineering
- Conduct fundamental and application-oriented research consistent with the “Position Summary” above.
- Develop effective timelines and milestones based on the goals of the research program.
- Preparation and publication of top-quality research papers and technical reports. Also, preparation and delivery of technical presentations to Academia and Industry.
- Assistance in the supervision of student projects and also work towards building an independent research project.
- Attend and actively contribute to group meetings and department seminars.
- Present research results at local and national meetings and conferences.
- Effective liaison with external networks to foster collaborative research partnerships.
- Contribute to the development of field trials with the industry partner.
Service and Leadership
- Assist with administrative duties and general laboratory duties including maintenance of the laboratory and equipment. Similarly, assist in the preparation and submission of competitive grant applications relating to the appointee’s research program;
- Perform other duties as requested by the appointee’s immediate supervisor as well as perform other tasks as requested by the supervisor or the Head of the Department.
- Furthermore, undertake Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) and Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) responsibilities as outlined in Section 4.
- A Ph.D. in Engineering or Applied Mathematics, or a closely related discipline. In addition to that, record of quality research as evidenced by research publications in leading journals and at conferences of systems and control, and optimization commensurate with opportunity.
- Expertise in system modeling and control and a strong interest in the application of these to address practical problems in real-time decision-making scenarios.
- Excellent programming skills in multiple languages including C/C++ and MATLAB, and capability of working with simulators to deliver tangible outcomes.
- Similarly, the ability to perform independent research and a commitment to interdisciplinary and applied research that has a real-world impact.
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences. Similarly, strong ability in analyzing data, problem-solving and maintaining accurate research records.
- Experience taking initiative and working with minimal supervision and ability to prioritize tasks to achieve project objectives within timelines.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, demonstrated by presentation of research results at conferences, internal forums, and manuscript submissions. Also, excellent interpersonal skills, including an ability to interact with internal and external stakeholders (academic, administrative and support staff) in a courteous and effective manner.
About the University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is an Australian public research university in Melbourne, Victoria. It is the second oldest university in Australia whereas it is the oldest in the state of Victoria. In addition to that, this Sandstone University is a member of the Group of Eight, Universitas 21 and also, a member of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities. The main campus of the university is located in Parkville, a suburb of Melbourne CBD. Besides, the University has four other campuses in metropolitan Melbourne at Burnley, Southbank, Hawthorn, and Werribee. Moreover, the University of Melbourne offers over 200 programs in the field of Science & Engineering, Law, Health and Nursing, Arts, Information Technology, and so on.