Science Librarian position is available at (Washington State University) WSU Libraries.
Washington State University (www.wsu.edu), one of two research universities in the state, was founded in 1890 as the state’s land-grant institution and has a current enrollment of nearly 30,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students and approximately 7,000 faculty and staff. The WSU Libraries (libraries.wsu.edu), one of two Association of Research Libraries (ARL) in the state, houses over two million books and over 30,000 journal and magazine subscriptions.
This position will be primarily responsible for providing research, instruction, and outreach services to agricultural sciences and WSU’s statewide extension program. Successful candidates will have a broad understanding of scholarly information across STEMfields connecting researchers and learners with information and resources within and beyond the physical library. Additionally, the librarian will work collaboratively across the WSU community to support various initiatives including Open Access and Open Educational Resources.
- Contribute to reference services, providing assistance to library users face to face and virtually, participating in the development of reference policies and assessment, keeping current on pertinent issues, developing reference collection for designated departments/programs/areas, including regular weeding, working effectively and cooperatively with colleagues wherever located to provide high-quality reference services, and maintaining a professional presence in all reference transactions.
- Keeps up on trends in librarianship and higher education.
- Participates in professional organizations and attends workshops, conferences, institutes, etc. at the local, state and national level
- Participates in scholarly research and publication.
- Performs in a manner consistent with the Library’s Criteria for Merit Increases, Promotion and Granting of Tenure.
- Serves on Library Working Groups, task forces and committees.
- Serves on WSU committees and task forces.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s degree from an ALA-Accredited Library and Information Studies program at date of hire
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently
- experience in reference and/or instruction.
- Experience in an academic library setting (Preferred)
- knowledge of or experience with the sciences (Preferred)
- experience with creating and providing liaison and outreach services (Preferred)
- experience with classroom teaching inside or outside the library setting (Preferred)
- experience with learning management systems (Preferred)
- experience with distance learning; demonstrated ability to assess and improve services (Preferred)
- demonstrated commitment to and experience with diverse populations (Preferred)
- documented achievement in research and creative work and professional service. (Preferred)