Student Counselor position is available at the Dean’s Office of Rutgers University’s School of Communication and Information (SC&I). This position reports to the Assistant Dean for Student Services. This position employs judgment within defined practices and procedures, and works independently within broadly defined work objectives.
- Provides academic advising and student services support to students in degree, non-degree, and non-credit programs of the School of Communication and Information, with a focus especially on undergraduate students.
- Responsible for student interactions through the life-cycle of their program: providing guidance to prospective students throughout the admissions process and to current and graduating students through their continuing studies.
- Uses professional judgment to evaluate academic credentials in order to provide academic, personal, and career counseling and advice.
- Also, facilitates orientation programs and information sessions for new and prospective students; coordinating intervention programs for students experiencing difficulty; and developing special projects, activities, and rich media communication.
- Provides resolutions to an assortment of academic and administrative problems of moderately complex scope.
- Likewise, provides analytical reports to faculty and administrators, and may serve as a liaison to university departments and offices.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in communication, psychology, counseling, education, social work, or a related area, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that demonstrates knowledge as well as understanding of student development and academic theories, methodologies, and current practices in higher education.
- Also requires a minimum of two (2) years of relevant experience in higher education student services that demonstrates skills in academic advising, student support services, and retention practices.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to handle complex situations with diplomacy
- Moreover, computer proficiency in generating analysis of data
- A strong commitment to providing outstanding student services is fundamental
- Master’s degree strongly preferred since candidate is expected to provide developmental advising with an understanding of the fundamentals of counseling
- Experience with customer relationship management and retention software is a plus.