Vacancy of Legal Officer at United Nations Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance Office of the Under-Secretary-General in New York, United States. This position is located in the Management Evaluation Unit (MEU), Office of the Under-Secretary-General (OUSG) in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC). The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Unit.
Under the supervision of the Chief, MEU/OUSG/DMAPC, the Legal Officer will be responsible for conducting management evaluations of decisions taken by the management of the Organization, Secretariat-wide, including in peacekeeping and special political missions. Duties will include but are not limited to:
- Undertakes extensive review and interpretation of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
- Conducts extensive legal research and analysis.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of drafts of management evaluations and related documents, studies, reports, briefing materials, based on a range of legal documents including the United Nations Charter, General
- Assembly resolutions and the internal laws of the organization, as well as on prior Management Evaluation Unit recommendations.
- Liaises with staff members and administrations in order to obtain information and explore options for the resolution of management evaluation requests.
- Assists in the negotiation and settlement of claims and disputes.
- Services or assists senior colleagues in servicing committees, task forces, expert groups and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues, meeting reports, etc.
- Prepares advice and recommendations on human resources matters.
- Assists in the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations or other research activities and studies.
- Undertakes survey initiatives; designs data collection tools; reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares conclusions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
In order to be eligible for this Vacancy of Legal Officer at United Nations, candidates must have the following qualifications
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in international or administrative law or related area is mandatory. A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree) in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research, and writing, with a focus on administrative law or law of international organizations, are necessary.
- Experience in the application of regulations and rules, policies and procedures, and decision-making processes in an international organization is required.
- Experience in human resources policy is desirable. Similarly, experience in building consensus and negotiation and informal settlement of claims and resolution of disputes is desirable.
- For the position advertised, fluency in both English and French is necessary. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
OYA Opportunities is in Telegram too. Catch us here