Administrative jobs at United Nations, South Africa
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Human Resources Management
- Initiates, reviews, processes, and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment of staff and consultants, ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures.
- Monitors staffing table and prepare relevant statistical data/charts.
Budget and Finance
- Assists in the preparation and review of financial and human resource proposals/requirements. Similarly, consolidates budget/work program with respect to Headquarters’ budget, trust funds, grants, and procurement.
- Monitors expenditures and compares with approved budget as well as prepares adjustments as necessary.
- Assists managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Also, assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions and finalization of budget performance report, analyzing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during the preparation of budget reports.
- Drafts routine correspondence to respond to inquiries in respect to a relevant administrative, financial audit, personnel matters.
- Coordinates extensively with service units and liaises frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field.
- Performs other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel program; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software, and systems; organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations).
- Also, maybe responsible for guiding, training, and supervising the work of more junior General Service staff.
- Assists with the day-to-day administration of contracts between the UN and external contractors for outsourced services.
- Audits the contractors’ invoices against the goods and services provided by the contractor and approved by the UN.
- Also, processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments.
- Furthermore, prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including UN grounds, passes, the property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access, and door keys.
In order to be fit for the position, the candidate must have the following qualifications
- High School diploma or equivalent. In addition to that, further training in office management, administration or related field preferred.
- In addition to that, a minimum of seven years of experience in administration and program/ project management.
- Experience in reporting and report drafting highly desirable. Previous experience in an international organization will be an asset.
- Fluency in the English language and also any additional knowledge of any other UN official language will be plus.