UN Jobs in Yemen
Position: Agricultural Officer (Plant Production and Protection) at the Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO)
Roles and Responsibilities
The Agricultural Officer will work under the technical supervision of the Chief Technical Adviser, SAPREP. S/he will work in direct collaboration with the Lead Technical Officer to establish and maintain collaboration and coordination with the national project teams and the project partners. In addition to that, the incumbent will report to the FAO representative in Yemen.
In particular, the Agricultural Officer will perform the following duties
- Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams leads and participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups. Similarly, provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and other areas.
- Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems, and databases.
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise.
- Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance and provides technical advice, assistance, and solutions to Decentralized Offices. Also, provides technical backstopping to field projects.
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality/effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries.
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increase policy dialogue as well as provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings.
- Furthermore, participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate Strategy.
- Advanced university degree in plant production, agronomy, plant science, crop improvement, plant protection, or any related field.
- In addition to that, at least seven years of experience in crop production and protection, small-scale family farming systems, innovative technologies, control of plant disease.
- Furthermore, working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.