Animal Production Jobs at FAO ( Food and Agricultural Organization), Italy
Position: Animal Production Officer (Animal Breeding And Genetics)
The Animal Production Officer will be responsible for the following jobs at FAO Animal Production and Health Division in Italy
- Researches and analyzes technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional, and technology-related information, data and statistics and/or related policy issues to support the delivery of programs, projects, products, and services.
- Produces a variety of technical information, data, statistics, and reports as well as input for technical documents and web pages.
- Provides technical support/analysis to various assessments, studies, and initiatives and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
- Collaborates in the development of improved/updated tools, systems, processes, and databases.
- Participates in multi-disciplinary teams, collaborates with colleagues in other technical units, offices, and agencies on working groups and committees and promotes best practices.
- Collaborates in or develops capacity development activities within member countries such as policy support or organizational development including preparation of related information, learning materials, and online tools.
- Promotes knowledge sharing and best practices at international meetings and conferences and influences partners in stakeholder consultations.
- The position will also support resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Prepares and analyses complex datasets related to livestock production and genetics, including in the context of pastoralism and agro-pastoralism, and adaptation to and mitigation of climate change.
- Contributes to the preparation of comprehensive reports related to improved natural resources management and monitoring of livestock diversity, including diversity of bees and pollinators and the provision of ecosystem service.
- Contributes to the development of relevant databases, tools, and guidelines for assessment and policymaking. Similarly, s/he contributes to the development of indicators and guidelines for measuring and monitoring agro-biodiversity and ecosystem services in the context of sustainable value chains for small-scale livestock producers.
- Provides technical support to FAO Member Countries in implementing the Global Plan of Action for Animal Genetic Resources.
- Furthermore, assist in the activities of the Secretariat of the Intergovernmental Technical Working Group on Animal Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture.
The ideal candidate will have the following requirements
- Advanced University degree in Animal Production or Animal Genetics. In addition to that, Five years of relevant experience in animal production and genetics.
- Moreover, work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
- Ability to analyze complex animal production and genetics data from a regional and global point of view.
- Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge in characterization and monitoring of livestock diversity and in related indicators.
- Similarly, the extent and relevance of experience in the development and management of technical projects in relation to livestock production and diversity, especially in the context of small-scale livestock producers and pastoralism.
- Extent and relevance of experience in the use of the Domestic Animal Diversity Information System. Knowledge of other global monitoring systems related to livestock production and diversity.
- Furthermore, the level of knowledge and understanding of the recent developments in the field of animal breeding and genetics and intergovernmental procedures.
Click here for more job vacancies.