Interpreter jobs at United Nations General Assembly
Position: Arabic language interpreters at Department for General Assembly and Conference Management of United Nations
The United Nations General Assembly is one of the six principal organs of theUnited Nations (UN), the only one in which all member nations have equal representation, and the main deliberative, policy-making, and representative organ of the UN. Its powers are to oversee the budget of the UN, appoint the non-permanent members to the Security Council, appoint the Secretary-General of the United Nations, receive reports from other parts of the UN, and make recommendations in the form of General Assembly Resolutions.
The successful appointee will perform the following duties
- Services up to seven meetings per week (exceptionally eight), usually of no more than three hours duration, of various United Nations bodies.
- Basically, Arabic interpreters provide interpretation into Arabic of speeches given in English or French and interpretation into English or French – as appropriate – of speeches given in Arabic.
- Routinely covers sensitive meetings. Also, routinely functions as team leader of all interpreters assigned to a given meeting.
- In addition, the incumbent may also instruct and advise interpreter trainees.
- First level university degree. However, all candidates for this position must have passed the United Nations Competitive Examination for Arabic Interpreters.
- In addition to that, a minimum of five years of professional interpreting experience in an international organization is mandatory.
- Must possess strong communication skill in Arabic and English or French.
- Similarly, must have excellent interpersonal, organizational as well as team skills.