Arabic Language Reviser Jobs at United Nations, Vienna, Austria
Level: Senior Level
Under the direct supervision of Chief of Section, the Arabic Language Reviser will perform the following activities
- Translate and revise texts dealing with subjects of a sensitive, complex or technical nature, as well as urgent texts, and any required documents, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Assist the Chief of Section in monitoring the quality of in-house and contractual translations by, inter alia, performing thorough quality control and preparing quality control reports and comments to the translators, as necessary.
- Make full use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools. Also, assist the Chief of Section in promoting their utilization and in implementing any related IT tools and improvements.
- Participate in drafting and consistency groups established for negotiated texts.
- Counsel and assist revisers and translators as required, whether in-house, off-site or working contractually
- Direct or support the conduct of terminological research within ATTS and coordinate. Also, contribute to the preparation of terminology materials to meet the needs of the Section.
- Mentor and train junior language staff as well as new contractual translators and provide feedback on their work.
- Assist the Chief of Section in organizing training activities to meet the needs of the Section. Similarly, assist the Chief of Section in selecting texts for ATTS translation tests, in marking candidates’ scripts and in evaluating results.
- Serve as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Chief of Section as well as a focal point for meetings, including in early and night shifts.
- Furthermore, perform other work-related duties as required.
In order to be eligible for the post of Senior Arabic Langauge Reviser, the candidates must have the following expertise
- A first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status. In addition to that, Candidates for this position must have passed the combined United Nations Competitive Language Examination for Translators/Précis-writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers/Proofreaders/Production Editors in Arabic or a relevant United Nations competitive language examination in Arabic held before 2017.
- Similarly, at least ten years of experience translation, précis-writing, editing, self-revision, verbatim reporting, copy preparing, proofreading or production editing.
- Experience in the use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools. Also, eight years of experience working within a multilingual setting.