Assistant jobs at United Nations
Position: Senior Facilities Management Assistant at the United Nations Office at Nairobi
Roles and Responsibilities
Monitoring and Controlling
- Monitoring of the various contractors, construction sites and surrounding.
- Inspect and advise on all proposed samples and construction materials for the project, and ensure that they meet the specifications in terms of quality and adherence to the specifications and compliance with appropriate building regulations and contractual documents.
- Similarly, conduct inspection of the workmanship and practices of contractors and crew engaged in the construction works on a daily basis.
- Record the progress of work including the construction and work schedules to check that the progress is maintained. Also, monitor the construction and its compliance with the specifications and design drawings prepared by the architect.
- Provide regular support for the development and implementation of site logistics, including the swing space plan and the management of the site surroundings, to ensure compliance with project plans and specifications.
- Also, follow-up on the guidelines on environmental management and housekeeping/safety/security on the site.
- Identify and record any unexpected issues of concern related to the site organization and the progress of the works as managed by the contractor.
- Similarly, monitor and inspect the health and safety arrangements implemented by the contractors on the construction site(s).
- Accountable for the execution of the construction work. Also, inspect the site tidiness and measures implemented to mitigate the nuisances to the premises.
- Inspect/monitor, and record the workmanship and practices of the contractor and/or crews engaged in the construction. Similarly, ensure the execution of work in compliance with the design plans and specifications.
- Keep appropriate and organized records of all the information collected, including pictures, quality assurance certificates, inspection reports, samples, etc.
- Monitor and record the design/construction work schedules to ensure that progress is maintained as proposed;
- Also, attend the site meetings as scheduled by the Site Supervision team, and compile meeting minutes as required.
- Provide input for the drafting of all the reports on the progress that will be compiled by the Project team.
Design, Support, and Plan
- Assist the Project Engineer/Architect and Project Manager in reviewing the designer’s plans and specifications to ensure they are in compliance with the defined project scope.
- Above all, perform any other duties as requested by the Project Architect/Engineer or Project Manager.
- A high school diploma or equivalent. However, supplementary courses or additional training and certification such as a Higher National Diploma in Building, Structural/Civil Engineering, PRINCE II or Project Management, is desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application.
- In addition to that, A minimum of ten (10) years of progressive work experience in architectural and/or civil engineering.
- Similarly, experience as a superintendent or building supervisor in at least one building project with > 5000 m2 or more.
- Fluency in English. Furthermore, fluency in Kiswahili is an added advantage.