Audiovisual technician jobs at United Nations, Tanzania
The United Nations International Residual Mechanisms for Criminal Tribunal is seeking dynamic and caliber Audiovisual Technician in Tanzania. This position is located in the Archives and Records Section, of the IRMCT Arusha Branch, Registry, under the supervision of the Archivist, Head MARS Arusha.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support the IRMCT audiovisual preservation strategies, by assisting with the evaluation of audiovisual records and the identification of at-risk materials. Participate in preservation enhancement strategies and digitization and migration programs.
- Audit and inspect audiovisual records managed by the Section.
- Also, operate professional software and equipment to run and monitor audiovisual migrations/ digitisations and monitor signal quality.
- Conduct quality control of the output of audiovisual digital preservation activities, ensuring appropriate capture of technical, descriptive and preservation metadata.
- Evaluate and monitor emerging technologies to enhance audiovisual preservation procedures and make recommendations for enhancements.
- Similarly, maintain and administer audiovisual migration and digital storage systems, following up with technical support as required.
- Receive and accession the audiovisual archives in both physical carrier and digital format, ensuring that processing activities adhere to best practice procedures and that the physical arrangement and intellectual control comply with established standards.
- Assist with the acquisition, accessioning, arrangement and description, and storage of physical and digital audiovisual records.
- Catalog new records and update or enhance cataloging of existing records.
- Perform quality control of cataloged records to ensure the application of established professional cataloging standards.
- Support the provision of access to audiovisual records and archives.
- Similarly, support the development and implementation of policies and tools to enhance the accessibility of audiovisual records, taking into consideration the technical and functional requirements of the users of the audiovisual records and archives.
- In addition to that, research technologies for enhanced electronic access to audiovisual material.
- Convert and transcode digital audiovisual files to access/ intermediate file formats.
- Acting independently, provide technical and user support services such as responding to requests for access by assembling audio and video clips in accordance with established policies and determine appropriate means of delivery.
- Assist with the conceptual and technical development of audiovisual educational materials, online exhibits, productions, outreach, and other programmatic initiatives.
- Gather and analyze data and make recommendations for the development and implementation of policies, standards, and guidelines for the management of audiovisual records and archives.
- Also, evaluate the adequacy of existing audiovisual records management tools and make recommendations for enhancements.
- Provide technical support and guidance in enhancements to procedures and the application of appropriate audiovisual editing and records management technology.
- Interpret policies, standards, and guidelines and ensure procedures are applied, regularly monitored and updated as required.
- Likewise, contribute to the drafting, editing, and review of guidelines and other policy instruments related to audiovisual archives management.
- Perform other duties as required as well as undertake tasks associated with maintenance of records repositories.
- Liaise with internal and external partners, in relation to the provision of access services (e.g. copying materials, assisting researchers with searches).
- Provide support to the administration of the Section, including assisting in the development and assessment of technical specifications for procurement processes.
- Furthermore, support other offices of IRMCT with their audiovisual tasks and requirements.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. However, additional qualifications or training in audiovisual production or information management or a related field would be desirable.
- In addition to that, at least 6 years of experience in audiovisual archives management, audiovisual editing, recording or production, information management or a related field.
- Knowledge of audiovisual archives and records management procedures, including professional international standards and best practices.
- Similarly, knowledge of audiovisual technologies and experience working with professional grade equipment, digitization, and migration practices.
- Familiarity with audiovisual analog and digital formats, as well as experience using professional audiovisual editing software.
- English and French are the working languages of the Mechanism. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Kinyarwanda is an advantage.