Chinese Language Reviser jobs at the United Nations
The Chinese Translation Service, Documentation Division, Department for General Assembly and Conference Management (DGACM), New York is seeking the Chinese Language Reviser to provides the translation of parliamentary documents from English into Chinese.
In particular, the incumbent will do the following duties under the general supervision of the Chief of Service.
- Revises translations and original summary records dealing with subjects of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Translates texts of an exceptionally sensitive, complex or technical nature, while meeting or exceeding required workload standards.
- Makes full use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools and. Assists the Chief of Service in promoting their utilization and in implementing any related IT tools and improvements.
- Directs the conduct of terminological research within the translation unit concerned.
- Counsels and assists revisers and translators/précis-writers, as required, at and away from Headquarters in addition to performing all or some of their functions.
- Assists the Chief of Service in the preparation of terminology materials to meet the needs of the Service concerned.
- Assists the Chief of Service in the preparation of instructions. Also, assists the Chief of Service in monitoring the quality of in-house and contractual translations.
- Trains and supervises junior language staff.
- Programs daily and long-term work of the Service.
- Assists the Chief of Service in selecting texts for United Nations competitive examinations. It includes marking candidates’ scripts and in evaluating results.
- Serves as the First Reporting Officer for junior staff as well as serves as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Chief of Service.
- Furthermore, performs other related duties as required.
In order to be fit for the position, the ideal candidate must have the following qualifications
- Bachelors degree from a university or equivalent qualification is necessary. In addition to that, candidates must pass the standard United Nations Competitive Examination for Translators/Précis-writers, Editors, Verbatim Reporters and Copy Preparers/Proofreaders/Production Editors in the relevant language or any relevant United Nations language competitive examinations in the relevant language held before 2017.
- Prior experience of ten years in a similar or related role and environment is necessary.
- Similarly, Experience in the use of standard computer-assisted-translation (CAT) tools.
- Candidate must be a native Chinese speaker with excellent English skills. However, the English proficiency of candidates will be tested through United Nations language competitive examination.