Consultant (Interpreter/Translator) is required in International Organization for Migration (IOM).
This is an assignment that primarily focuses on the Consultant’s social and language skills which entails interpreting, translating, counselling and assisting in the delivery of social services to migrant populations living in community and detention centres. The role includes nationwide travel to detention centres and migrant communities in Indonesia. The Consultant will be working under the direct supervision of Programme Coordinator/Head of Sub-Office in the respective IOM Hub and Sub-Offices, or under direct supervision of Senior Operations Officer for the Consultants based in Jakarta, and under the overall supervision of Deputy Chief of Mission.
- Perform interpreting / translating duties for, IOM, UNHCR, Resettlement Countries, Indonesian Government Counterparts and other stakeholders dealing with irregular migration in Indonesia.
- Assist IOM field offices to deliver social services to the migrant population.
- Obtain biographical information and case histories from migrants.
- Provide counselling for migrants to ensure they are aware of their situation and rights as an irregular migrant in Indonesia.
- Ensure migrants are informed in a timely manner about relevant Australian and Indonesian government policies relating to irregular migration and other relevant news, and report back on reactions, trusted sources of information, and the push and pull factors influencing their decisions regarding irregular migration to Australia.
- Identify and inform IOM managers about vulnerable cases that may come across or become aware of their situation during the course of duties.
- Possibility of conducting Australian Cultural Orientation Classes (AUSCO) and submission of a report for conducting the classes.
- Submission of the reports: • Time sheets and Weekly activity report. • When on Travel Duty (TDY), a brief report about activities and updating the situation in the given location.• A comprehensive report at the end of contract to be submitted before departure.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- University Degree in Language Study, Linguistics, or other relevant fields with at least 3 (three) years of professional translating/interpreting experience, or;
- Has training of certification as an Interpreter in the required language.
- Effectively applies knowledge of relevant languages to deliver accurate translations in accordance with defined requirements.
- Maintains confidentiality and discretion in appropriate areas of work
- Has experience working with asylum seekers/refugees either in detention or refugee camp environments.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team from varied cultures and professional background.
- Strong organizational and communication skills (written and spoken).
- Ability to write clear and concise reports.
- Proficient in computer applications.
Having an accreditation in any languages is an advantage.Required Languages: Arabic, Farsi, Tamil, Rohingya, Somali, Somali-Arabic, and Oromo
Consultant with valid working visa or residence permit in Indonesia is preferred.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.