Editing and Publishing jobs at the United Nations
Position: Senior Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant (English) at the United Nations Department for General Assembly and Conference Management
Roles and responsibilities
In addition to reporting to Chief of Editing Section, the incumbent will do the following duties
- Leads the development and adoption of modified working methods and procedures in the framework of ongoing modernization processes, including the Global Terminology, Reference and Translation Solutions (gText) project
- Ensures that modified workflows are designed and implemented according to rigorous and transparent.
- Similarly, ensures an effective transition to new workflows while maintaining the delivery of existing unit products. Also, sharing information and supporting full participation in workflow reviews.
- Supervises the daily activities of the unit with respect to desktop publishing and archiving of United Nations documents to the Official Document System. Similarly establishes priorities, issues special instructions as needed for the production of camera-ready documents for reproduction and storage of final text.
- Oversees programming of work unit; distributes assignments, ensuring efficient and effective processing of documentation and equitable distribution of work.
- Confers and collaborates with other language units in order to maximize resources. Also, identify statistical charts, diagrams, and charts for utilization by other units.
- Supervises the staff of the unit by identifying and resolving issues, monitoring staff performance, participating in and overseeing staff training, establishing weekly rosters of daytime, after-hours and weekend work shifts, as needed, and weekend and holiday on-call duties.
- Completes e-Performance evaluations for unit staff as First or Second Reporting Officer.
- Performs administrative work, including the maintenance of daily statistics. Similarly, prepares, compiles and submits statistical reports on capacity-planning, overtime, productivity, and other reports.
- Trains staff to perform other modified text-processing functions developed under Text or related workflow reviews, such as in the area of pre-processing or pre-translation of texts.
- Oversees the creation, updating, and maintenance of unit macros, templates and models.
- Rotates on daytime, after-hours and weekend work shifts, as needed as well as act as a hiring manager for recruitment.
- Stays available for overtime and on-call assignments, depending on the needs of service.
- Furthermore, ensures the provision of Correspondence services.
- High School or equivalent qualification. However, additional formal training in desktop publishing is desirable.
- In addition to academic qualification, a minimum of ten years of experience in desktop publishing, including copy editing, formatting, proofreading and creating typographical layouts.
- Experience with documentation processes of the United Nations or a similar international organization is desirable.
- Excellent command in the English language.