Editorial Jobs at United Nations, New York
The Correspondence Team, Office of the Under-Secretary-General (OUSG), Department of Operational Support (DOS) invites caliber candidate to apply for the position of Editorial Assistant. The Editorial Assistant will report to the Team Leader of the Correspondence Team.
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Office, the position holder will perform the following duties in particular
- Assists in screening correspondence submitted for editing for the signature of the USG DOS to ensure compliance with submission standards and regulations.
- Contributes to the efficient and timely editing of correspondence by providing a full range of editorial support for DOS Correspondence Team by applying relevant policies, regulations, and guidelines to ensure a smooth workflow.
- Tasks incoming correspondence to DOS Divisions and tracks subsequent workflow as well as keeps all concerned informed of changes in processing procedures.
- Registers incoming and outgoing correspondence in the departmental correspondence management system (Unite Correspondence). Similarly, informs Team Leader of technical problems concerning submission and registration, and assists in resolving them.
- Provides reference assistance to departmental staff, contacting other United Nations offices and Permanent Missions, as necessary.
- Responds to queries from departmental offices and divisions concerning correspondence submitted for processing; refers queries to appropriate parties, as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with internal and external contacts at all levels. Also, compiles statistics on the processing and workflow of the incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Assists the Team Leader in preparing departmental guidance materials on correspondence processes.
- Ensures that all members of the Correspondence Team, including temporary staff, have basic computer equipment and software, as well as telephone and e-mail services; take charge of all arrangements connected with this task. Also, ensures compliance with United Nations archiving standards.
- Provides access to code cables and distributes to concerned offices in accordance with established procedures. Similarly, provides basic client support to OUSG DOS; performs basic trouble-shooting functions in a timely manner.
- Maintains contact with Office of Information and Communications Technology (OICT) and reports problems to appropriate support services, as necessary.
- Performs general office support functions for DOS Correspondence Team with the requisition of office supplies.
- Carries out other tasks requested by the Team Leader as well as provides coverage team members and acts as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Team Leader.
- High School Diploma or equivalent. In addition to that, at least five years of experience in office support functions and in screening and registering, editing and proofreading correspondence submitted for processing is necessary.
- Experience in providing a reference or technical support to departmental staff is desirable. Similarly, experience working in a high-level front office in desirable.
- Fluency in English is mandatory. However, additional knowledge of any other UN official language will be an advantage.