Engineering Jobs at African Development Bank, Burundi
Position: Senior Transport Engineer
The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) or Banque Africaine de Développement (BAD) is a multilateral development finance institution. he AfDB’s mission is to fight poverty and improve living conditions on the continent through promoting the investment of public and private capital in projects and programs that are likely to contribute to the economic and social development of the region. Moreover, the AfDB is a financial provider to African governments and private companies investing in the regional member countries (RMC).
Under the supervision of the Infrastructure and Industrialisation Division (RDGE3) Division Manager, s/he will do the following tasks
- Contribute to the preparation and evaluation of strategies and policies for the development of infrastructure sectors (transport, urban infrastructure, etc.) in collaboration with government agencies, development partners and other stakeholders.
- Participate in the preparation of terms of reference and monitoring of studies relevant to the infrastructure sectors, contribute to the examination and review of study reports and propose actions to be taken by the Bank.
- Similarly, participate in missions for the identification, preparation, and evaluation of studies, transport, and urban development infrastructure projects/programs. Reform support programs in these sectors in support of the Bank’s strategy and contribute to the drafting and review of reports.
- Participate in project launch, supervision mid-term review, completion and portfolio review missions for transport sector projects and contribute to the preparation of reports.
- Provide advice and expertise to the heads of implementing agencies on transport sector issues and priorities, technical aspects of projects and the Bank’s rules and procedures, including procurement of goods and services, disbursement procedures.
- Also, provide expertise in the review of bid evaluation reports and conduct the evaluation of technical and financial proposals for contracts related to project implementation;
- Follow up on recommendations made in supervision, mid-term review, and portfolio review. Also, audit reports with due attention to project monitoring and evaluation.
- Carry out analytical and sector work to inform and support the Bank’s downstream involvement in the design of transport sector projects and programs.
- Collaborate with other development partners to harmonize approaches and share experiences. Also, continuously improve practices, and integrate transport sector policy commitments into project management.
- Develop partnerships with the private sector, bilateral and multilateral agencies on issues within the Directorate’s mandate. Similarly, prepare transportation project fiches identified with borrowers for inclusion in the project pipeline.
- Furthermore, carry out any other related tasks assigned by the Regional Operations Division Manager or Country Office Manager.
In order to be fit for the role, candidates must have the following qualifications
- Hold at least a Master’s Degree, DEA, DESS or an equivalent degree in civil engineering or public works or an equivalent degree in a transport-related discipline such as transport planning and engineering, or in transport economics. Training in public policy or public administration will be a plus.
- Preferably have at least five (5) years of experience in the transport sector and a proven ability to work on policy, institutional and financial aspects of transport infrastructure projects, construction and maintenance, management and procurement, capital and maintenance planning and programming, knowledge of private sector involvement and the link with economic development and poverty reduction.
- Be able to apply technical skills in a team leadership role to solve and manage issues related to the design and implementation of transport projects/programs from an overall development objective of poverty reduction.
- Have proven experience in the formulation of transport policies and strategies, transport sector development and urban development programs and the implementation of transport sector reforms, including legal, regulatory, institutional and privatization reforms.
- Ability to conduct sectoral dialogue on transport policy issues (public sector reform, public finance, private sector participation, and regulation) and analytical capacity to integrate policy and institutional development aspects into a wide range of transport sector issues.
- Have a good knowledge of methodologies and techniques for analysis, planning, and programming of the transport, tariff regulation, economic and security sector as well as sectoral governance issues and the impacts of climate change.
- Competence in decision-making, teamwork, and personal motivation.
- Ability to communicate effectively written and spoken French with a good working knowledge of English.
- Proficiency in the use of the Bank’s current software. Particularly, knowledge of Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint, SAP and/or other ERP systems would be an asset.