Finance and Budget Officer at United Nations, New York is located in the Payroll Section within the Finance Division of Office of Programme Planning, Finance and Budget, Department of Management, Strategy, Policy and Compliance. The incumbent will report to the Chief of the Payroll Section.
Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties
- Manages a complete financial operation, encompassing a wide variety of funding sources, a large volume of transactions, and extensive dispersed activities.
- Approves/Confirms that proposed obligations or expenditure for services, facilities supplies and equipment expenses, as well as those pertaining to personnel, are in accordance with the Financial Regulations and Rules of the UN, relevant appropriations and staffing tables and corresponding approved allotments.
- Analyses accounts, reviews/prepares regular financial reports. Proposes/implements solutions with respect to problem transactions and irregularities.
- Ensures that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
- Oversee payroll operations.
- Review and ensure accuracy with respect to entitlements in payroll operations.
- Prepares or consolidates financial statements for inclusion in the UN Audited Financial Statements to be audited. Responds to internal/external audit observations. Reviews the financial statements of other entities for which the Controller has certification authority.
- Produces major/complex financial reports for management.
- Provides substantive support to the development and implementation of new accounting systems. Takes initiative to improve accounting processes and approaches.
- Provides data for the preparation of year-end performance reports.
- Guides, trains and supervises general service and professional staff in the function.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Provides advice and guidance, including training, to headquarters and field staff on budgetary and financial policies and procedures, including results-based budgeting.
- Participates in inter-departmental meetings and/or technical survey missions on matters related to resource requirements, programming, financial and budgetary issues.
- Keeps up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to finance and budget, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Drafts reports for intergovernmental bodies and for management on financial and budgetary issues, and correspondence.
- Drafts official documentation to troop contributing countries concerning reimbursements from the United Nations.
- Undertakes research and analysis of financial and budgetary policies and procedures, makes recommendations for changes and/or modifications.
- Acts as Certifying Officer or Approving Officer in accordance with established regulations and rules.
- Ensures the integrity of financial and management systems and the controls that underpin them.
- Provides support with respect to representation of the Secretary-General in meetings of legislative organs.
- Represents OPPFB or division in inter and intra-departmental meetings.
- May plan, organize, manage and supervise the work of the Unit/Section assigned.
- Incumbents may be asked to perform other related duties.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!