Finance Job at the United Nations in Kenya
Position: Chief of Section, Finance at United Nations Office at Nairobi
The Chief of Section will look after the financial part of the office. S/he will be doing the following things in particular
- Leading the activities of the Accounts Section which include: Managing procedures and practices for expenditure control and financial reporting of the regular budget and extra-budgetary funds of UNON, UNEP, and UN-Habitat.
- Following, maintaining proper accounting records and reports, including analysis of financial accounts to ensure that decision-makers receive timely and accurate financial information, and coordinating the preparation of financial statements and ensuring the observance of reporting deadlines.
- Reviewing and coordinating financial systems and procedures of UNEP and UN-HABITAT outpost offices and ensuring uniformity of systems among offices.
- Discharging, as required, approving officer’s responsibilities for all financial obligations pertaining to UNEP, UN-HABITAT, and UNON.
- Coordinating and finalizing responses to external and internal auditors’ observations on matters relating to the Accounts Section.
- Similarly, managing professional and general service staff of the Section, inculcating in them UN values and principles, setting jointly with them objectives and standards, managing the performance appraisal system in the Section and facilitating a harmonious working environment of open communication, high productivity, and teamwork.
- Ensuring consistent application and observance of the UN Financial Regulations and Rules and Instructions.
- Analyzing the financial reporting requirements and coordinating preparation of financial statements based on International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Interpreting the Financial Regulations and Rules in the administration of the UN regular and extra-budgetary funds and reviewing accounting policies and practices, as appropriate
- Also, implementing financial decisions of the governing bodies, financial instructions from UNHQ and audit recommendations
- Managing and reviewing delegated financial authority within the Accounts Section.
- Also, providing strategic advice and guidance on financial management issues.
- Analyzing complex financial issues and making appropriate recommendations through the Chief, Budget and Financial Management System (BFMS).
- Maintaining liaison with ICSC and Department of Management Policy Strategic and Compliance (DMSPC) on financial accounting and payroll matters
- Furthermore, maintaining close contacts with counterparts in other UN organizations to discuss issues of common concern, encourage consensus and negotiate support for UNEP, UNON and UN-HABITAT position on issues of financial accounting.
The ideal candidate will be doing the following tasks
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Accounting, Finance or related area. However, candidates with a bachelor’s degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience can also apply. In addition to that, Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Chartered Accountant (CA) or equivalent is desirable.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible professional experience in accounting, finance or related area is required.
- Working experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) and financial statement preparation. Similarly, working experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and financial systems such as Oracle or SAP.
- Experience in a supervisory capacity with proof of performance management.
- Working experience in trust fund accounting is desirable.
- Furthermore, fluency in oral and written English is necessary for this position. Good working knowledge of French is desirable.