Finance and Budget Officer Jobs at United Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
The Finance and Budget Officer serves the United Nations System Chief Executives Board for Coordination (CEB). In particular, the Finance and Budget Officer will do the following things
- Assists the Director of the CEB Secretariat/Geneva in the financial management of the Office, as well as in the drafting of the CEB Secretariat’s proposed program budgets, in the monitoring of program delivery and in the financial control over extra-budgetary activities originating from mandates of HLCM and its Networks.
- Follows up and supports the budget and finance segment of the work of HLCM, including identifying and proposing cross-cutting/inter-agency issues for discussions of HLCM; developing and planning inter-agency initiatives/projects; defining scope of projects; setting deliverable and timelines; supporting lead agencies on projects; following up and ensuring timely completion of all inputs.
- Coordinates relations and facilitates exchanges among members of the FB Network and other key contacts at operational and management levels in organizations of the UN System.
- Organizes and serves as secretary of FB Network meetings including preparation of agenda, documentation and meeting reports.
- Plans, implements and reports on specific inter-agency budget and finance studies/projects as mandated by CEB, HLCM or the FB Network on subjects such as budgeting methods, accounting standards, audit-related matters, treasury, as well as consolidated system-wide statistical reports on budgets, expenditures, regular and voluntary contributions, and other documentation on budget and finance matters.
- Is directly responsible for the activities related to the management of the CEB Financial Statistics database, including the collection, validation, and reporting of financial data from the UN system organizations.
- Coordinates the activities and proposes improvements related to the further development of the CEB Data Management Platform that hosts the financial database and the publication of corresponding data and information on the CEB website and other fora.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field of budget and finance. Similarly, make recommendations for reviews of existing policies and procedures and for the launch of new initiatives and studies.
- Keeps under review cost-sharing arrangements for inter-agency and jointly-financed activities; reviews and makes recommendations to high-level committees on the budget proposals for these activities.
- Furthermore, updates content on the FB Network and CEB website reflecting the latest developments and accomplishments. Ensures relevant reference materials are made available to the FB Network community.
The ideal candidate will have the following duties
- University degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related field. However, candidates with a bachelor’s degree with two years of additional qualifying work experience can also apply.
- In addition to that, at least seven years of progressively responsible experience in budgeting and financial management systems, out of which at least four (4) years must be in the UN system.
- Experience facilitating inter-agency or inter-governmental consultations is desirable. Similarly, experience in drafting analytical reports and policy briefings preferred.
- Fluency in English is necessary and the additional knowledge of French will be an advantage.