Gender Affairs Jobs at the UN, Santiago, Chile
Roles and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Executive Secretary, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties
- Formulates and implements the substantive work programme of the Branch/Service/Division under his/her supervision. Oversees the management of activities undertaken by the Branch/Service/Division, ensures that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different areas both within the Division and Department and with other organizations of the United Nations System, as appropriate.
- Prepares, leads supervises and carries out the work programme of the Division; accountable for the efficient use of the human and financial resources made available by the organization for that purpose. Co-ordinates different work units under the Division and with other agencies and bodies of the United Nations system.
- Co-ordinates and oversees the preparation of reports to intergovernmental bodies on budget/programme performance or on programmatic/ substantive issues, as appropriate, particularly those presented in biannual and/or annual reports.
- Directs and coordinates the provision of technical secretarial services to the ECLAC Member States on women issues; in particular to policy-making organs such as the Regional Conference on Women in LAC and the meetings of the Presiding Officers.
- Acts as the UN regional focal point on women issues and coordinates technical assistance, training activities and the service of meetings geared to the needs of national women’s bureaus, and to governmental and non-governmental organizations involved in gender issues.
- Elaborates, supervises and monitors regional substantive activities involving research studies, institutional diagnosis, evaluations involved in gender issues and field projects related to the integration of women in development.
- Ensures that the outputs produced by the Division maintain high-quality standards and comply with relevant mandates; that reports are clear, objective and based on comprehensive data.
- Undertakes or oversees the programmatic/administrative tasks necessary for the functioning of the Division, including preparation of budgets, reporting on budget/programme performance, evaluation of staff performance, interviews of candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates and preparation of inputs for results-based budgeting. Recruits staff, taking due account of geographical balance. Also, manages, guides develop and train staff under his/her supervision.
- Fosters teamwork and communication among staff in the Branch/Service/Division and across organizational boundaries.
- Participates in international, regional or national meetings and provides programmatic/substantive expertise on an issue. Also, involve in programmatic/substantive and organizational discussions with representatives of other institutions.
- Furthermore, represents ECLAC at international, regional or national meetings on gender issues and at United Nations interagency meetings.
In order to be fit for the role, the incumbent must have the following qualification
- Advanced university degree in Social Science or related area. However, PhD is desirable but candidates with a bachelors degree can also apply. Candidates with a bachelor degree must have two years of additional qualifying work experience.
- In addition to that, a minimum of fifteen years of relevant professional experience on gender issues in the context of development. Similarly, experience in research of gender issues, as reflected by a record of relevant publications.
- At least 5 years of experience in the coordination of programme/project activities related to women’s issues at the national, regional or international levels is desirable.
- For this position, fluency in Spanish and English is mandatory. Additional knowledge of Portuguese is desirable.