Global Legal Advocacy Adviser position is available at Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC). The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. NRC is a determined advocate for displaced people. It promotes and defends displaced people’s rights and dignity in local communities, with national governments and in the international arena. It is looking for a savvy and compassionate legal advisor committed to defending the rights of displaced people and refugees through powerful advocacy that opens minds and changes hearts.
The successful candidate will provide guidance and expertise on legal issues while wearing an advocacy hat. Furthermore, the new Global Legal Advocacy Adviser will ensure that offices – from Head Office in Oslo to the representational offices in the field – work symbiotically to protect and promote the rights of vulnerable people across the world.
- Provide guidance and training to staff on legal issues using existing, or developing new, advocacy material and tools.
- Similarly, provide input and support on advocacy-related legal issues to Country Offices (COs) and Regional Offices (ROs)
- Ensure that NRC written products describe and apply correctly relevant refugee law, international humanitarian law, and international human rights law.
- Also, lead on streamlining CO reporting on legal advocacy work, aligning advocacy reporting with advocacy strategy, and plan of action
- Provide prompt, principled and accurate guidance and advice on the interpretation as well as application of international instruments in the development of global advocacy positions and policies.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong knowledge and understanding of humanitarian policy and practice.
- Moreover, relevant university law degree and minimum 5 years of experience within the humanitarian field.
- Experience working in human rights and/or with refugees and asylum seekers.
- Likewise, experience conducting legal research, policy analysis and drafting advocacy products.
- Experience in representing an NGO, donor or UN agency.
- In addition, excellent written and oral communication skills in English, and preferably written and oral communication skills in Norwegian.
Apply online for the position