UN Jobs at United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), Libya
Position: Humanitarian Affairs Officer
Roles and responsibilities
In particular, the Humanitarian Affairs Officer will be doing the following tasks
- Monitors analyze and report on humanitarian developments, disaster relief/management or emergency situations in Libya.
- Participates in large, complex projects, to include disaster assessment or other missions.
- Assists in the coordination of international humanitarian/emergency assistance for complex emergency/disaster situations and in ensuring the necessary support. Also, drafts situation reports to the international community, apprising of a situation to date. Similarly, specifying unmet requirements of stricken countries.
- Partners with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programs. Also, ensure that latest findings, lessons learned, policy guidelines, etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations.
- Establishes and maintains contacts with government officials, other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, diplomatic missions, etc.
- Undertakes and provides support to technical assistance and other field missions, including assessments using the Libya Inter-Agency Initial Rapid, Needs Assessment tool.
- Prepares or contributes to the preparation of various written reports, documents, and communications.
- Serves as the primary focal point for humanitarian partners in Libya Similarly, keeps abreast of latest developments, liaises with other humanitarian organizations, donors, etc.
- Also, ensures appropriate monitoring and reporting mechanisms; provides information and advice on a range of related issues.
- Reviews and provides advice on policy issues related to safeguarding humanitarian principles and ensuring the effective delivery of humanitarian assistance.
- Organizes as well as participates in workgroups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Organize, participate and/or assist in organizing working groups, meetings, conferences, consultations with other agencies and partners on humanitarian and emergency relief-related matters.
- Furthermore, perform any other duties assigned by supervisor.
- Master’s degree or above in Political Science or relevant field. However, bachelors degree with an additional three years of work experience can also apply.
- In addition to that, all the candidates with masters degree must have 2 years of working experience in a similar field, preferably in national or international level in humanitarian affairs, emergency relief management or development work. However, candidates with a bachelors degree must have at least five years of experience.
- Good knowledge of the Libya crisis and humanitarian assistance to Libya is strongly desired.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Proven abilities in data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting with the ability to write in a clear and concise manner and effective oral communication.
- Proven skills in conducting and participating in meetings and reporting thereof.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks within an environment where many interruptions occur. Similarly, the ability to work with multi-cultural teams and international professionals;
- Availability and fitness for travel. Also, the ability to work under pressure.