Information Officer Jobs at the UN, New York
Position Title: Senior Public Information Officer
- Conceptualize, design and execute the overall communications, public information and events strategy, program and activities for the UN Global Compact Office and its Local Networks.
- Develops and prepares executive communications on behalf of the Executive Director
- Serve as lead spokesperson for the UN Global Compact Office; provide technical and policy advice on highly complex public information, integrity, reputational risk, and communications issues; develop and disseminate best practices. Similarly, represents the UN Global Compact at the UN Communications Group and other UN-wide Communication and Advocacy initiatives.
- Lead and direct a team of public information and strategic events professionals; plan and allocate work assignments; coach, mentor, and evaluate staff; lead recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of training programs. Similarly, identify sources and seeks funding and other assistance for major campaigns.
- Oversee the preparation, from research to publication, of UN Global Compact newsletters, periodicals, reports, and books.
- Conduct sensitive political liaison work. Similarly, create and maintain networks of high level communications contacts with broadcast media, the press, governmental agencies, international institutions and other groups and organizations in civil society (non-governmental organizations (NGOs), businesses, community organizations, women’s groups, etc.); also represent the UN Global Compact in important meetings, conferences, events, etc.; promote joint public relations ventures.
- Takes the lead on the strategic drafting and editing of broader business communications as requested, including input to Secretary-General and Deputy Secretary-General speeches and remarks, UN reports and events relating to the United Nations Global Compact.
- Participates as a Member of the UN Global Compact Executive Management Team and also contributes to the development of institutional public relations policies.
- Assesses the overall effectiveness of the public information strategy and programs and make needed changes in approach and technique.
- Provide diverse materials (briefings, speeches, questions, and answers) for use by the Executive Director and senior officials, develop or overall see the development of high profile multi-media communications campaigns; set quality and production standards for information dissemination.
In order to be eligible for the position, applicants must have the following qualifications
- Advanced University degree in communication, journalism, international relations, public administration or related field. In addition to that, at least ten years of progressively responsible experience in public information, journalism, international relations, public administration or related area.
- Experience in corporate sustainability as it relates to the United Nations, or other similar international organization, and business partnerships is desirable. Similarly, experience in both the private sector and in the United Nations, or other similar international organizations, is desirable.
- Fluency in English is necessary for this post. In addition, knowledge of any additional UN official language would be plus.