English Language Interpreter Job at United Nations, Nairobi, Kenya
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of the Unit and within delegated authority, the Interpreter will be liable for the following duties:
- Provide interpretation into English as required, of speeches or statements given in two other official languages.
- Service up to seven meetings per week (exceptionally eight), usually of no more than three hours duration, of various United Nations bodies.
- Routinely covers sensitive meetings as well as routinely functions as team leader of all interpreters assigned to a given meeting.
- May instruct and advise interpreter trainees as well as function as Programme Officer.
- Furthermore, might need to perform other related duties, as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following specifications
- A first-level degree from a university or institution of equivalent status. However, candidates for this position must have passed the United Nations Language Competitive Examination for English Interpreters with Russian.
- A minimum of five years of professional interpreting experience in a multilingual setting. In addition to that, relevant language experience in a language-related area in international, regional or national institutions.
- A perfect command of English normally expected to be the candidate’s main language. Moreover, the candidate must also possess an excellent aural comprehension of two other official languages, one of those two languages must be Russian.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.