Investment Officer (Johannesburg, South Africa) The World Bank
The Investment Officer in IFC will report to the FIG Regional Industry Manager covering Southern Africa and will be based either in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Duties and Accountabilities Investment Officer in IFC
The roles and responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
- Handle client relationships and provide insight into sector developments in client countries to anticipate new investment opportunities and/or performance issues.
- Establish and maintain relationships with mid-level clients and other stakeholders (government, development partners, WBG) to explore business opportunities.
- Engage with mid-level clients of projects to understand their business directions and challenges that may lead to new opportunities, and support design of client engagement plans, as applicable.
- Lead investment transactions incorporating lessons learned from IFC’s earlier investments and portfolio management.
- Work with the team on developing new opportunities, managing internal and external stakeholders, investment processing and portfolio management
- Work closely with other Industry teams to support development of strategic partnerships with clients and expand IFC’s FIG services to include among others, innovative digital technologies.
- Collaborate in developing client strategies/ engagement plans and pitch books for industry and countries.
- Provide key support, and in some cases lead in identification, appraisal, structuring and negotiation of financial sector investments.
- Analyze operational and financial performance as well as credit and integrity risks of potential clients/projects.
- Perform assessments related to Paris Alignment and Climate Risk in investments.
- Coordinate with internal stakeholders to identify ways to strengthen development impact and financial sustainability of projects.
- Actively keep abreast of regional and industry developments and incorporates trends into the processing or supervision of projects.
- Handle disbursements, waivers and complex client interactions such as restructurings; monitor and value equity investments and recommends/executes the sale of holdings.
- Follow up-with mid and senior level clients to resolve problems on projects.
you may like: (2024) Programme Specialist – UN WOMEN
Selection Criteria Investment Officer in IFC :
- Master’s degree in finance, economics or other related areas; accreditation as CFA or CPA is considered equivalent.
- At least 7-9 years of relevant experience in the financial sector, with a proven track-record of sourcing, structuring and closing investments preferably both in equity and debt, including Capital Markets.
- Good understanding of the perspective of the commercial banks, insurance companies and other financial intermediaries, including their business drivers, the scope of their operations, and their interests, so as to be able to successfully engage.
- Clear experience and expertise in identifying, evaluating, structuring and negotiating debt and equity transactions; experience in portfolio management.
- Good understanding of financial and operational characteristics of financial institutions.
- Good understanding of IFC’s financial instruments, requirements, main investment agreements/ standard contracts and provisions, all aspects of transactions to provide input for optimal structuring of a prospective opportunity, and internal deal and portfolio processing.
- Proven analytical, financial analysis, equity valuation, and financial modelling skills to analyze and form conclusions on company financial information or projects and industry indicators. Able to oversee and provide quality control feedback on financial models prepared by analysts.
- Ability to draft documents and reports that are concise, well-organized, and appropriately focused on most critical points that are relevant to the target audience.
- Sound business judgment and strong problem solving/negotiation skills, as well as ability to work effectively on simultaneous projects under time pressure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English and French or Portuguese
- A keen interest in development finance and working in a multicultural environment.
Join us on Telegram for more opportunities!
For more details visit, The World Bank