IT jobs at United Nations, Lebanon
Position: Telecommunication Officer at United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon
Roles and responsibilities
The incumbent will do the following things
- Lead and supervise the Operations Management Unit in FTS.
- Develop strategies and oversee the design, implementation, and maintenance of major telecommunications systems of the mission, including VHF/UHF, Microwave Radio, Data Networking, Server Administration, IP Telephony, VTC, UPS, VSAT, and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Security.
- Identify the need for new systems or modifications to existing systems and respond to requests from clients. Also, develop plans for feasibility assessment and cost-benefit analysis.
- Design, develop and implement project plans, schedules, and time and cost estimates. Similarly, manage and oversee multiple, concurrent and often disparate tasks for projects that span regional field missions.
- Lead and direct a team of telecommunications personnel to deliver high-quality products and services.
- Plan and allocate work assignments to ensure that substantive work programs and programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion.
- empower staff in the unit to translate vision and mandated projects into results. Similarly coach, mentor and evaluate staff; participate in recruitment and selection of new staff and in the development of ICT training programs.
- Develop telecommunications’ budgets and ensure proper expenditure according to UN Financial Rules.
- Manage procurement of ICT items, including conducting needs assessments and benchmarks, preparing bid documents and arranging contracts. Similarly, supervise, coordinate and negotiate the services required to enable the management and operation of interdependent information technology and telecommunications systems.
- Also, manage telecommunications assets and inventory with respect to deployment, usage, redeployment, and write-off.
- Provide emergency communications capabilities in support of staff security, including providing a focal point for inter-agency emergency field security communications liaison.
- Ensure effective coordination with other UN Agencies in order to maximize the possibilities of interagency collaboration in the field of telecommunications. Also, establish and maintain relationships within and outside the mission to understand needs and gain support.
- Attend and contribute to high-level management meetings, including budget formulation and audit replies.
- In addition, perform other related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent. In addition to that, technical training certifications in Telecommunications are required. However, candidates with a university degree in a relevant field can apply with just seven years of experience.
- Minimum of 12 years of progressively responsible experience in electronic data transmission, network design, LAN/WAN administration, network infrastructure, server infrastructure/administration, DRBC, VHF/UHF, Microwave Radio, IP Telephony, VTC, UPS, VSAT, ICT Security or related fields is required.
- Experience in management of projects for large, centralized and globally distributed institutional ICT systems. Furthermore, experience in field operations of the United Nations common system or comparable international organization is highly desirable.