Job Vacancy at Human Rights Watch, United States
Position: Publication Design Co-ordinator
The Publication Designer Coordinator will be liable for the following duties
- Coordinate the end-stage production of all HRW reports and their translations in print and on the web, including by coordinating and maintaining a production schedule for reports and associated visual assets (i.e., videos, photos, graphics, related articles) across program, digital, and multimedia divisions; and also update Director of Publications regularly on key publishing dates and flag any potential scheduling issues.
- Format reports for print and web in multiple languages using Microsoft Word, Adobe Acrobat, Macromedia Dreamweaver, and Photoshop.
- Maintain front- and back-end digital library of reports as well as correct and revise reports and related materials.
- Develop training materials and lead regular training for staff on the publication process.
- Provide support for the production of immersive web features, including by assisting with graphics production, researching photos, organizing video project files, and usability testing. Similarly, provide photo editing assistance for daily news content, assist in compiling photos and captions from archives for various print and web products, obtain licenses for photos from agencies and independent photographers.
- Provide production assistance for social media graphics.
- Furthermore, perform other tasks as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- A bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, human rights, social science or related field. In addition to that, a minimum of two years of relevant experience in desktop publishing, basic web languages, or combination thereof.
- Experience with basic HTML coding, knowledge of style sheets in Microsoft Word and experience working in content management systems are highly desirable.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop as well as familiarity with Adobe Creative Suites and cross-platform use of fonts are highly desirable.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with meticulous attention to detail and strong follow-through are necessary.
- The ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Strong interpersonal skills in order to work collaboratively across the organization in a diverse and inclusive work environment are required. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; proficiency in Arabic or Chinese is desirable.
- Self-motivation and ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision, and work well in a fast-paced environment with team members in multiple locations.