Job vacancy at the World Food Programme, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position: Risk Management and Compliance Officer
Risk Management and Compliance Officer will perform the following duties
- Assist in setting up the Risk Management and Compliance unit for the office.
- Identify areas where corporate regulations and procedures are inefficient or ineffective within the context of the county office operations. Similarly, identify risk areas, assess the potential for fraud and corruption in operational activities, creating a viable control environment and supporting the enhancement of internal controls, and tracking the implementation of risk mitigation measures.
- Develop tools, processes, and systems for tracking key Country Office internal controls as required. Such as a delegation of authority, waivers, committees and other elements that inform the annual Assurance Statement.
- Facilitate accountability across functional units, prepare comprehensive reports and formulate sound recommendations on required actions in the area of compliance.
- Contribute to the development of new compliance Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). Also, review existing ones and maintain an updated database of SOPs.
- Conduct oversight missions to the field to monitor compliance with WFP rules, regulations, policies and procedures & prepare comprehensive reports on findings and recommendations with the relevant managers.
- Provide information and analytical support to oversight reviews to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of Internal Control Systems in order to mitigate operational, financial and strategic risks in the planning and implementation of activities.
- Undertake timely follow-up of the implementation of audit and evaluation recommendations and associated management actions;
- Act as a focal point in the Country Office for annual compliance planning. Similarly, reviews, risk assessment as well as updating of risk registers, including progress towards implementing the risk mitigation actions.
- Analyze data and information to support substantive and objective/evidence–based Oversight Reviews, comments and recommendations.
- Enhance the understanding and relevance of functional oversight checklists by reviewing them with Heads of Units, facilitating a modification process if required to adapt to Country Office context, and facilitating/coordinating a periodic self-assessment by the units.
- Develop dashboards and other mechanisms of synthesizing compliance, performance and risk issues effectively for managers.
- Assess information/training needs and prepare and deliver training programmes or information sessions for managers and staff in Country Office to enhance compliance with WFP policies, rules, regulations and procedures.
- Furthermore, any other assignments deemed necessary by the Country Office Management team.
The ideal candidate will have the following duties
- Masters degree or above in Public Administration, Finance, Accounting, Audit, Certification in Performance & Risk Management, or another relevant field. In addition to that, membership in an internationally recognized accountancy body such as the Institute of Chartered Accountants or equivalent is an added advantage.
- Minimum of six years of post-graduate relevant professional work experience International development or humanitarian work experience is desirable.
- Fluency in the English language. In addition, knowledge of any other UN official language.