Jobs at Norwegian Church Aid
Position: West Africa Regional Security Advisor
Norwegian Church Aid is a Norwegian humanitarian and ecumenical organization with headquarters in Oslo. It works together with people and organizations across the world to eradicate poverty and injustice. NCA provides emergency assistance in disasters and works for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, NCA advocates for just decisions by public authorities, business, and religious leaders. Furthermore, NCA is an ecumenical organization for global justice. Its projects are carried out with no intention of influencing people’s religious affiliation.
Roles and responsibilities
In particular, the incumbent will be doing the following functions
- Implement NCA’s Security Risk Management standard, including conducting threat and risk analyses for NCA’s operational areas, designing risk mitigation measures and updating national security and contingency plans.
- Advise Country Representatives on security matters. Similarly, devise and implement key security systems and procedures, ensuring their long-term sustainability.
- Capacity-build country security focal points as well as coordinate and liaise with other entities and organizations in the sector.
- Train security personnel, staff, and partners on personal security, risk and crisis management.
- Also, contribute to and participate in the organization’s strategy work related to safety, security, and programs.
- Oversee the implementation of additional prevention and mitigation measures.
- Conduct security risk assessments and safety audits at each country office and partner organization. At the same time, strengthen NCA offices’ crisis management capacity.
- Monitor and report on security and safety developments, especially in high-risk countries.
- Master’s degree in political science, international relations, regional studies, conflict and development studies, criminology or law enforcement. In addition to that, a minimum of five years of experiences from security-related work.
- Similarly, documented field experience as well as experience providing security training/coaching. Also, experience from the development and/or humanitarian aid sector.
- Able to travel to field locations in countries of responsibility.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent French and English skills.
- Furthermore, first-aid training qualification is a plus.