Language Translating jobs at the UN, Iraq
Languages: Arabic and English
In particular, the translator will perform the following duties
- Translates documents covering a broad range of subjects dealt with by UNITAD, i.e. Legal, criminal investigation, international accountability mechanisms, etc.
- Provides accurate and complete translation of a wide range of documents in a timely manner
- Similarly, provides consecutive and simultaneous interpretation form the local language (s) to designated UN working language (s) and vice versa at various meetings or areas of activity of the United Nations, using the appropriate terminology, as and when the need arises;
- Provides escort (field) interpretation for meetings with the Special Adviser, as well as facilitate communication during official visits, whenever necessary.
- May act as team leader of all translators/interpreters during the assessment, as required.
- Ensures that work from other translators/interpreters in the unit is on time.
- May occasionally need to attend sensitive meetings.
- Assists in matters of terminology and style to ensure uniformity, quality, and consistency.
- Performs other related duties as required.
In order to be fit for the role, candidates must have the following qualifications
- High School Diploma or equivalent. However, candidates with proficiency in United Nations Competitive Examination for English translators is desirable.
- In addition to that, a minimum 10 years of professional translation and interpreting experience.
- Relevant language experience within the UN System is desirable. Similarly, experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment desirable.
- Also, Experience working in any of the following domains is desirable: legal, criminal investigation or international accountability mechanisms.
- Strong language skills in Arabic and English. However, additional knowledge of Kurdish will be an asset.