Language Translator jobs at International Telecommunication Union
Languages: Russian, English, and French
The International Telecommunication Union, originally the International Telegraph Union, is an agency of the United Nations (UN). It is responsible for issues that concern information and communication technologies. It is the oldest among all the 15 specialized agencies of UN.
The Conferences and Publications Department is seeking a dynamic and reliable person who can speak Russian, French and English. In general, the position holder will be translating oral as well as written communication between two distinctive mediums or parties.
Under the supervision of the Head of the Russian Language Section, the incumbent will perform the following duties in particular
- Translate into Russian technical, specialized or administrative documents drawn up in English or French and any other language of which the incumbent has an appropriate command.
- Revise texts and contributions and provide inputs to Russian text.
- Participate in the work of Editorial Committees or Groups during ITU conferences and meetings. Also, participate in refining terminology work.
- Contribute to the development of the Section and enhancement of translation services.
- Furthermore, perform other duties as required.
In order to be eligible for the position, the ideal candidate must have the following qualifications
- Native Russian speaker with advanced English skills.
- Advanced university degree in translation, modern languages or equivalent with application to telecommunications or other scientific or technical subjects. However, internal candidates must bachelor degree and seven years of similar work experience can also apply.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in translation, preferably of texts in the field of telecommunications, including at least two at the international level.
- Ability to translate and revise difficult, complex and urgent documents of scientific or technical nature.
- Moreover, experience at international telecommunication conferences and meetings (e.g. conference interpretation/translation) would be an advantage.