Legal Officer position is available in the Department of Management Strategy, Policy and Compliance (DMSPC), Office of the Under-Secretary-General, Management Evaluation Unit of United Nations. The incumbent reports to the Chief of the Unit.
- Undertakes extensive review and interpretation of legal documents, instruments, or other material; identifies important issues, similarities, and inconsistencies, etc.
- Conducts extensive legal research and analysis.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation of drafts of management evaluations and related documents, studies, reports, briefing materials, based on a range of legal documents including the United Nations Charter, General Assembly resolutions and the internal laws of the organization, as well as on prior Management Evaluation Unit recommendations.
- Liaises with staff members and administrations in order to obtain information and explore options for resolution of management evaluation requests.
- Likewise, assists in the negotiation and settlement of claims and disputes.
- Furthermore, services or assists senior colleagues in servicing committees, task forces, expert groups and other bodies, including preparation of background materials, summaries of issues, meeting reports, etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent degree) in international or administrative law or related area or, a first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in law, including legal analysis, research and writing, with a focus on administrative law or law of international organizations
- Similarly, experience in the application of regulations and rules, policies and procedures, and decision-making processes in an international organization
- Moreover, experience in negotiation and informal settlement of claims and disputes is desirable.
- Fluency in English is a requirement. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
You need to submit an online application in order to get considerations for the position.