Legal Officer jobs at UN (United Nations Office of High Commissioner for Human Rights), Geneva, Switzerland
Duties and responsibilities
- Reviews documentation, correspondence, letters, including sensitive queries and requests with legal implication.
- Consults senior staff for their inputs and comments regarding the same as required. Similarly, compiles summaries and/or makes recommendations to the Deputy Head based on an analysis of the information provided.
- Drafts replies for the signature of the Deputy Head.
- Prepares, in coordination with the External Relations Officer, briefings for the Deputy Head’s meetings with government and international officials as required.
- Prepares background documentation and advises as to the content and direction of such meetings, attends meetings, prepares summary documents of such meetings and ensures follow-up to any actions decided on during such meetings;
- Drafts policy papers, reports including the General Assembly, as well as other documents in the context of international law.
- Drafts, in coordination with the External Relations Officer, speeches and public presentations for the Deputy Head. Also, drafts donor reports and other documentation.
- Assists the Deputy Head in developing work plans and policies concerning the IIIM’s substantive work, particularly with a view to ensuring a coordinated approach across the office and ensuring that a victim-centered approach, attention to sexual and gender-based crimes and crimes against children, as well as effective support concerning secondary trauma, is fully integrated into all operations.
- Assists in ensuring effective communication and record-keeping systems are in place and enforce within the Executive Office.
- Stays abreast of current developments relevant to the IIIM’s work and provides advice accordingly.
- Reviews policy positions under consideration by the Head and Deputy Head, for consistency of approach. Assists in ensuring effective implementation.
- In coordination with the Special Assistant of the Head, liaises and maintains close working relations with member state governments, UN secretariat, other UN agencies, international organizations, and NGO’s.
- Assists in coordinating and enhancing internal communication between the Head, Deputy Head and the IIIM’s staff. Also, liaises with various staff members and follows up on direction from the Deputy Head.
- Also, coordinates special projects as directed by the Deputy Head.
- Furthermore, complete other tasks as assigned.
- Advanced university degree in law, political science, international relation, or other relevant fields. However, candidates with a bachelors degree and two years of additional qualifying work experience can also apply.
- A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in law enforcement, prosecution, criminal justice, international relations, social or political affairs or related area, including legal analysis, research and writing is required. Experience in an international context (e.g. member state’s diplomatic corps or multilateral organization such as the United Nations or European Union) advising senior officials in law, human rights, political affairs, international relations, diplomacy, conflict resolution, or related area.
- For this position, fluency in English is mandatory. However, additional knowledge of any other UN official language will be an advantage.