Logistic Jobs at United Nations, New York
Position: Logistics Officer (Planning) at the United Nations Department of Operational Support
The Logistic Officer will do the following jobs at the United Nations chamber of Operational Support in the United States
- Provides effective and timely planning, oversight, management and coordination of demand planning activities. Ensures effective and timely provision and coordination of diverse demand planning requirements, based on the analysis of the DOS supported entities’ historical, current and future requirements and forecasts global demand (short term and long term), consolidated by UN Global Service Centre, to facilitate strategic sourcing.
- Plans and co-ordinates supply chain and logistics support to new, sustaining and expanding DOS supported entities, factors mandate changes, including contingencies and fluctuations of requirements, determines the impact and updates demand plans accordingly.
- Coordinates with related sourcing and delivery planning units, as well as relevant technical sections/units, to ensure that demand plans are met through appropriate sourcing and delivery solutions. Conducts annual reviews of the demand plan with quarterly/monthly updates, through regular coordination with missions and UNLB and other departments, to ensure the adequacy of requirements, as well as the “fit for purpose” attributes of the logistics needs of DOS, supported entities.
- Develops guidelines and procedures documentation on demand planning for DOS supported entities.
- Provides effective management and successful coordination of supply chain and logistics support activities of multi-national civilian, military and inter-departmental staff.
- Ensures that logistics requirements take account of gender-specific needs.
- Ensures that the supply chain budget, human resources are optimally budgeted and allocated to support supply chain services across field missions.
- Manages as well as supervises and carries out the work program of the Unit under his/her responsibility.
- Manages, guides, develops and trains a team of staff and/or mentors and supervises the work of staff.
- Furthermore, s/he will have to perform other related duties as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications
- Master’s degree or equivalent in business administration, public administration, supply chain management, engineering, law or another relevant field. However, bachelor degree holders with two additional years of qualifying experience can also apply for the post. In addition to that, certification in PRINCE2 or other project management methodologies is desirable. Certification in supply chain management is desirable.
- At least seven years of progressively responsible experience in supply chain management or logistics operations or related field. Similarly, experience in project coordination is necessary.
- Experience in quantitative process analysis, statistical process control or process re-engineering in supply chain management is desirable. Similarly, experience in using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems for scalable supply chain solutions is desirable.
- Experience in planning is desirable as well as in providing logistics and supply chain support services to or in an international environment is desirable.
- Furthermore, fluency in English is mandatory for this post. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.