Management jobs at the UN (United Nations) in Iraq
Position: Facilities Management Officer at United Nations Mission for Iraq, Baghdad
Roles and responsibilities
In addition to that reporting t to the Chief Engineering and Facility Management, the incumbent will do the following duties
- Oversee technical and administrative work in the technical and general engineering activities in the missions, related to construction and maintenance activities such: ground maintenance, accommodation, etc.
- Implement projects, or parts of larger projects, relating to the construction or repair of buildings, facilities or related structures.
- Coordinate specific work projects with other units within the section as well as oversee and evaluate work performed by contractors. Similarly, monitor and report on the progress of engineering projects.
- Helps Engineering project team to apply sustainable/environmental design technics, during the design development process.
- Co-ordinates Environmental Management System (EMS) related actions. Maintains high-level data collection network and regularly reports EMS related achievements to senior management.
- Manages and controls the energy efficiency of the facilities and promotes human behavior corrective actions within the mission.
- Manage budget allotments or Task Orders for engineering works being responsible for.
- Plan, direct, and coordinate activities of either UN staff and/or contractor’s staff, including outsourcing type of contracts, and all related administrative work and supervision of personnel.
- Similarly, plan and design specifications for projects. Also, conduct site visits for assessments and draft project schedules and cost estimates for construction, repair/maintenance of facilities. Develops Environmental Management System (EMS) as per ISO 14001 recommendations, Including policy and environmental action plan.
- Coordinates with UNHQ the actions related to the organization’s environmental strategy especially updates on Mission Wide Environmental Action Plan (MEAP).
- Oversee technically evaluating bids and proposals for construction projects. Also, identify resource requirements for his/her area of responsibility in connection with budget preparations.
- Prepare and follow-up work orders for engineering works.
- Liaise in coordination with a Chief Engineer regularly with Security and Safety, Environmental, Health, and Logistics Services.
- Coordinate with engineers and other civilian or military specialists in the mission to agree on work requirements and priorities.
- Periodically provide inputs for assessment of performance levels of assigned local and international staff.
- Furthermore, perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor or the Chief of Section/Unit.
- High school diploma or equivalent. In addition to that, supplemental academic qualifications or training in Civil Engineering; Business Management; Contract Administration; or related area.
- At least ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in technical, administrative and supervisory duties related to facilities management and maintenance. Out of ten years, at least two years of experience should be in the international level.
- However, candidates with an advanced university degree in a related field can apply with just five years of work experience.
- Great teamwork and organizational skills.
- Fluency in English (both oral and written). Additional knowledge of the Arabic language is desirable.