The United Nations Office at Nairobi invites candidates to apply for the vacancy of Messenger.
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the representative office of the Secretary-General. The position holder will support programme implementation of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) and the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services.
- Unloading and sorting incoming mail, interoffice correspondence, cables, documents, confidential/sensitive mails and packages.
- Weighing and notifying staff members electronically, upon arrival of packages, letters or magazines for collection.
- Making deliveries and picking-ups in accordance to the daily schedule as well as sorting and sending out picked-up mail to other mail stations.
- Reporting on the volume of all mail, documents and packages received and dispatched on a scheduled basis.
- Ensuring the clear and correct handling of mail as well as alerting supervisor on receipt of tampered mail.
- Ensuring that outgoing mail contains only approved material as well as conducting statistical count daily, of all mail, documents, specials and packages received dispatched; maintains accurate records.
- Logging all registered items: Visa cards, cheque books, registered mails and also delivers them against signature.
- Providing support documentation required for the preparation of statistics, accounts, reports, and other statements.
- Furthermore, performing other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of relevant experience preferably in mail and pouch operations and/or office environment is necessary.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office Windows Applications)
- Knowledge of Umoja is desirable.
- Fluency in English is necessary for this position. Furthermore, knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Appointment against this post is for an initial period of one year and may be subject to extension. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. External candidates will be considered only when no suitable candidate from the duty station is identified. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses in order to take up the appointment. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
Follow this link for more information about this vacancy of Messenger at United Nations Office in Nairobi.