Nutrition and Food Safety jobs at WHO, Switzerland
Position: Nutrition and Food Safety Specialist at the World Health Organization
Roles and responsibilities
- Leads the Department in providing technical expertise to the Member States and other Stakeholders.
- Provides the overall leadership, management accountability, and direction of the Department in delivering its objectives through managing and galvanizing a diverse workforce and financial resources to optimize the department deliverables and mandate.
- Provides senior level technical advice and expertise to Senior Management in the area of assigned responsibilities. Contribute in order to position the Department and Organization as a leader in the respective area.
- Directs and leads the overall establishment and development of the Department’s evidence-based policies and strategies. It is for rollout and delivery for Regional and Country Office implementation.
- Oversees the monitoring and evaluation and reporting of the Department’s area of work. Ensure the development of key performance indicators and global reporting requirements and mechanisms to ensure the optimal performance of Department deliverables.
- Serves as the scientific/technical reference among UN Agencies and other key players in the respective areas.
- Promotes the integration of Regional Country Office perspectives and operational capacities into the Department’s program area of work
- Builds strong partnerships and fosters consensus building with External Partners, Member States, UN Agencies, Donor, cutting edge research institutions and other stakeholders in the subject area to politically position the technical area of work and implementation into national and/or global policies.
- Represent the Organization and Department area of work in a diverse array of global fora to position WHO as a leader in the global health community.
- Directs the development of evidence-based assessments, standards, guidance, and tools.
- Leads global action for capacity building of health systems in the areas of monitoring and surveillance, counseling, prevention, and regulatory systems.
- Similarly, leads global action for the improved capacity of food systems to prevent disease and ensure sustainability.
- Ensures integration of programs/activities/functions across the department/division and organization where necessary.
- Also, ensures the facilitation of management of transnational food safety incidents.
- Furthermore, perform any other additional tasks as assigned.
- An advanced university degree public health, medicine, nutrition, or other relevant discipline related to the functions of the position. However, the Ph.D. is desirable.
- Also, a minimum of 15 years of accumulated national and international professional experience in the management of nutrition or food safety and food systems programs, preferably both.
- Similarly, experience in organizational management and financing for complex health-related organizations. Experience in international level is mandatory.
- Strong skills in the area of developing and establishing policies and strategies. Also, excellent skills and ability in managing diverse teams and financial resources.
- Ability to engage, build consensus and communicate effectively and diplomatically with the Member States, partners, and media. Commitment to collaborate effectively with other key partners in the Health Subject area. Similarly, strong understanding and skills in mobilizing resources.
- Globally-respected level of technical expertise and knowledge in nutrition, food safety, and food systems.
- Likewise, proven leadership skills in the planning and coordination of multidisciplinary public health programs, which may include the implementation of a public health/disease control programs.
- Good understanding of food safety risk assessment, prevention, surveillance and management of nutrition and food-related disease, food-borne outbreaks, sustainable food systems.