Jobs at FAO (Food and Agricultural Organization), Santiago, Chile
Position: Policy Officer (Environment and Climate Change)
The Policy Officer reports to the Regional Programme Leader and contributes to the work of one or more teams in dialogue and coordination with the Regional Initiatives and the subregional offices.
In particular, s/he will be doing the following duties
- Supports the work carried out by technical or policy officers from FAO headquarters or out-posted staff in the Decentralized Offices. It will be in relation to policy and governance work under FAO’s Strategic Framework.
- Advocates strategic partnership, best practices, and policy dialogue in support of enhanced governance. Especially for food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and food systems.
- Participates in specialized or multidisciplinary teams, and high-level policy analysis missions or projects, policy networks and/or international policy setting bodies.
- Similarly, interacts with UN regional and country teams to improve cross-sector policies and strategies concerning food and nutrition security and sustainable development.
- Supports the analysis by the Regional Office of regional and country-level issues to provide input into the identification of country and regional priorities and requirement.
- Also, designs, implements and monitors regional and sub-regional policy work programs and the supporting budgets and/or resourcing strategies.
- Plan, organize and participates in capacity development activities involving the provision of technical advice and assistance. Also, oversees the development of related materials, online tools, and information kits.
- Advanced university degree in Environmental Science, Climate Change, Natural Resources Management, Social Science, or related field. In addition to that, Seven years of relevant experience in policy formulation, programming, advice, and analysis relating to environmental management or relevant field.
- Similarly, the extent and relevance of experience in working with national governments, intergovernmental bodies, UN agencies and processes at different levels. Also, experience in policy analysis and advice, strategic management and program formulation and implementation.
- Demonstrated experience in preparing technical reports in Spanish and English including publication record.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and English. In addition to that, limited knowledge of French is desirable.