Population Affairs Jobs at United Nations, New York, United Nations
Position: Population Affairs Officer at the United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs
The Population Affairs Officer will do the following jobs at the United Nations
- Assists the Senior Population Affairs Officer in planning and managing the publications work programme, reviewing manuscripts, implementing established publication standards, and developing and implementing a communications and dissemination strategy.
- Provides substantive support on population issues to intergovernmental bodies, such as the Commission on Population and Development, the Economic and Social Council and the General Assembly or the regional commissions. This activity includes preparing reports or inputs for reports to intergovernmental bodies, servicing intergovernmental negotiations, attending meetings, preparing summary reports on meetings, assisting in the organization of panels or round tables.
- Develops and maintains databases on demographic indicators, population and development indicators, population policy information and indicators or information on other population-related issues.
- Designs and carries out studies on population trends, population policies and their relations to social and economic factors in specific topical areas such as fertility; family planning; internal and international migration; urbanization; health and mortality; population structure and composition, population ageing and population, environment and development. Writes substantive reports on the results of the studies carried out.
- Apply, adapt or develop methodologies for demographic analysis and prepares population estimates and projections. The position will also develop the tools for the appropriate implementation of the methodology.
- Assists in carrying out administrative tasks including interviews of candidates for job openings, evaluation of candidates, preparation of budgets, reporting on programme performance, preparation of input for results-based budgeting.
- Assists in providing supervision and guidance to more junior staff as well as organizes expert group meetings, seminars, etc. on population-related issues.
- Attends international, regional or national meetings on population issues to present results of demographic analysis and research; similarly, keeps abreast of developments in the field, gathers information, networks and holds discussions on population issues with colleagues in other institutions.
- Represents the Population Division at international, regional or national meetings.
- Designs as well as provide support to technical cooperation projects in the area of population and development.
- Assists in the preparation of research proposals for external funding on population issues.
- Prepares briefing notes and talking points for senior officials as well as materials for press releases or briefings.
- Supports junior staff, reviewing their work and providing feedback.
- Participates in intra- and inter-Departmental undertakings of broader concern to represent the views or interests of the organizational unit.
- Furthermore, s/he will have to perform other related duties as required. It includes a variety of administrative tasks necessary for the final delivery of the work unit’s services.
The ideal candidate will have the following requirements
- Master’s degree in demography or in sociology, statistics, economics or related field with an emphasis on demography. However, bachelor degree holders with an additional two years of qualifying work experience can also apply for the position.
- In addition to that, A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in population analysis and research or related area is necessary.
- Experience in the use of software for demographic analysis and database management.
- A minimum of two years of experience at the international level is desirable. Similarly, experience in publications and communications is desirable.
- For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.