The African Union Directorate of Conference Management and Publications invites Portuguese language speakers to apply for the vacancy of a Portuguese language translator. The appointment will be on a regular contract for a period where the first twelve months will be a probationary period. Therefore, the contract will be for a period of two-years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The translator will be doing the following duties
- Ensuring quality translation of working documents on a wide range of subject matters in a timely manner.
- Checking working documents before and after translation to ensure contextual understanding, linguistic accuracy and conformity with established AU terminology.
- Consulting and collaborating with colleagues, specialized dictionaries/glossaries, data banks as well as participating in the Development of AU terminology database.
- Adapting and referring to appropriate reference sources to ensure translation accuracy.
- Updating the specific terminologies, phrases, special expressions, lexicons, and acronyms in order to expand vocabulary and enhance skills.
- Candidates must possess a good working knowledge of the Computer-Assisted Translation Tool (CATT) and will also be responsible for protecting the confidentiality of information.
- Furthermore, the role will perform any other duty assigned by the Director or immediate supervisor.
Candidates must have the following qualifications n order to be eligible for this vacancy of Portuguese Language Translator in African Union
- Advanced university degree in either translation, modern languages, linguistics or related fields of study. In addition to that, certification of translators’ professional member status from a recognized professional body and/or work experience as an interpreter will be an asset.
- At least 7 years’ experience of working as a translator. Out of the 7 years of experience, 3 at a supervisory level will be desirable.
- However, candidates with a university bachelor’s degree in the above fields of study are also ellgible if they have a minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience as a translator.
- Proficiency in Portuguese with a good command of English is necessary for this position. In addition to that, the ability to translate into other AU official working languages (Arabic, French) would be an advantage.
Additional skills and knowledge
- Good translation and editing skills, with the ability to produce accurate and clear translations.
- Excellent writing skills as well as good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good computer literacy (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Ability to work in a proactive manner as well as the ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines;
- Knowledge and Understanding
- Experience in linguistic research and development of terminology database. Similarly, knowledge of Computer Assisted Translation Tool (CATT).
- Furthermore, an understanding of the confidential nature of this area of work.
Download position summary
Click here to start an application