Post-Doctoral Fellow – Maize Pre-Breeding position is available at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT. CIMMYT is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. It works throughout the developing world to improve livelihoods and foster more productive, sustainable maize and wheat farming systems.
CIMMYT is looking for an innovative, academically excellent candidate to join its global maize research team. The selected candidate will join the Seeds of Discovery (SeeD) team in the Genetic Resources Program, exploring the vast maize genetic diversity housed in the world’s germplasm banks.
- Assist in the design, deployment and management of field-based evaluations in regular and managed-stress environments.
- Likewise, assist in the design, deployment and management of breeding and test cross production nurseries.
- Collaborate in the experimental design and data analysis of phenotypic evaluations and yield trials.
- Similarly, collaborate in data analyses to identify novel haplotypes that are not present in the elite breeding germplasm.
- Publish results in high-impact scientific journals.
Qualifications and Requirements
- PhD in Plant Breeding or Genetics.
- At least 2 years’ experience in a traditional field-based plant breeding program.
- Experience or familiarity with the use of molecular markers in breeding.
- Experience in maize breeding desirable.
- In addition, strong competence in statistical methods for agricultural research.
- Strong understanding of quantitative genetics.
- Furthermore, demonstrated ability to engage in innovation and to work collegially and collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of Spanish is desirable but not essential.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Achievement Orientation, Proactivity and Communication.
Candidates must apply here in order to apply for the position. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, 5 April 2019, however, the position will remain open until filled.