Editing Jobs at HarperCollins, New Jersey, United States of America
Position: Production Editor – Spanish Language
HarperCollins Publishers LLC is the world’s largest publishing company and is one of the Big Five English-language publishing companies. HarperCollins has publishing groups in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, India, and China. The company publishes many different imprints, both former independent publishing houses, and new imprints. The worldwide CEO of HarperCollins is Brian Murray and has headquarter in New York, the United States of America.
HarperCollins is seeking a Spanish Language Production Editor for its New Jersey office.
In particular, the incumbent will do the following duties
- Supervise (from a production editorial standpoint) the production of books from receipt of the edited manuscript through bound book/epub.
- Using MS Word and Harper’s proprietary software, code and update electronic manuscripts; copyedit, proofread, and route jacket mechanicals and other materials
- Hire freelance copy editors, proofreaders, and indexers and oversee their work.
- Work with editors, designers, and production managers in anticipating and resolving problems. Also, evaluate and coordinate artwork and/or back-matter materials.
- Collate and check proofs; copyedit and proofread miscellaneous material (i.e., front matter, back matter, indexes) and flap copy, mechanicals, and Fujis.
- In addition to that, manage multiple projects while maintaining high standards of quality control and tight production schedules.
- Furthermore, provide backup for the department as needed.
Qualifications and requirements
- College Degree or equivalent work experience in a similar field.
- In addition to that, prior production editorial work experience, preferably in trade publishing, 2-3 years.
- Must have strong computer/MS Word skills. Similarly, strong organizational and interpersonal communication skills are necessary. Also, fluency in the Spanish language.
- Solid copyediting and proofreading skills; college-level understanding of and use of the English language.
- Must be detail-oriented, well organized, and also, able to set priorities under pressure.