Jobs at UNESCO in France
United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) is looking for motivated, qualified and experienced Programme Assistant to help and assist the functioning of the Bureau of Strategic Planning. The position holder will report to the Director of the Bureau of Strategic Planning (BSP) and will work under his authority.
Roles and responsibilities
He/She will be responsible for the following function
- Maintain accurate filing and tracking systems for BSP and ensure the proper archiving of BSP electronic and hard copy files in line with the Division of Knowledge Management and Information Systems (ADM/KMI) standards.
- Provide general office assistance; receive, register, review and draft correspondence and documents; Verify outgoing correspondence for completeness, accuracy, and compliance with UNESCO format standards; maintain mailing lists and other contact lists.
- Respond to queries about BSP mandate, progress status and monitor the timely execution of assignments and alert the supervisor/BSP team members on delays, bottlenecks, and outstanding tasks. Take notes and produce meeting minutes. May replace the Executive Assistant as required.
- Provide support with regard to the preparation of outreach activities, publication production, and partnership initiatives.
- Prepare draft dockets and charts; assemble documents, finalize and format reports, presentations, speeches, etc. according to the standards and procedures established by UNESCO.
- In collaboration with team members, assess and provide administrative support needs for meetings, events, conferences, workshops, and consultants’ temporary assistance.
- Process requests for translation, printing, and dispatching of documents and publications; coordinate webcasting, recording, transcription of debates and follow-up on progress.
- Provide information and guidance to BSP staff on administrative processes, procedures, and timeframes to secure administrative services needed for the same.
- Make travel arrangements, providing assistance to partners and stakeholders as required and processing visas; maintaining and updating large lists and complex databases, preparing lists of participants at events/conferences/workshops and regular and ad hoc status reports.
- Collect and organize information and data related to the Office/Bureau/Section’s program and activities from a variety of source (Internet, Intranet, Office files, records, etc…) and present it in the required format.
- Initiate a variety of contractual documents using examples or templates; identify consultants, suppliers (from a roster), and prepare purchase requisitions in accordance with instructions; verify requests for payments against contractual obligations in the financial system; provide information on payment status and outstanding obligations to the responsible officer.
- Coordinate the acquisition and maintenance of the BSP’s office equipment, material, and supplies.
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational education.
At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in administrative and/or secretarial tasks.
Experience working for a supervisor with managerial responsibility.
Experience in secretarial/administrative tasks in an international environment.
Strong interpersonal skills and capacity to interact tactfully with people of diverse cultural backgrounds.
Good sense of judgment, and solution oriented.
Ability to work as part of a team and to provide quality and timely support and services.
Ability to manage time efficiently and adjust work schedules and priorities as required.
Good capacity to work effectively in stressful situations.
IT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.)
- Excellent knowledge of English or French and good knowledge of the other language