Programme Expert on Disaster Risk Reduction and Water position is available at the National Strategies and Capacity Building Branch of the Division for Sustainable Development Goals of DESA. The Programme Expert reports to the Director of the United Nations Centre for Regional Development (UNCRD) in Nagoya, Japan in order to support the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development with special focus on Disaster Risk Reduction and Water.
- Develops, implements and evaluates assigned programmes/projects, etc.
- Researches, collects information and analyzes as well as presents information gathered on disaster risk reduction and water.
- Builds partnerships with UN agencies working in various sectors to strengthen the linkage between UNCRD and other UN agencies as well as relevant stakeholders
- Coordinates policy development, including the review and analysis of issues and trends, preparation of evaluations
- Organizes and prepares/supports the drafting of written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, sections of reports and studies
- Provides substantive backstopping to meetings, conferences, etc
- Initiates and coordinates advocacy activities; organizes independent meetings, workshops/ seminars, and at international and regional events on disaster risk reduction and water (e.g., World Water Forum, Global and regional Platforms for Disaster Risk Reduction, etc.) and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Furthermore, leads and/or participates in international and regional meetings on disaster risk reduction and water and drafting mission summaries, etc.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in sustainable development, economics, public policy, public administration, natural resources management, social sciences or a related field, or a first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience instead
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in project or programme management, policy-oriented networking, advocacy and communication in the field of water and disaster risk reduction
- Experience in planning and organizing of global meetings on the issue of water and disaster risk reduction
- Membership in broad networks amongst the stakeholders in the International Water Community is desirable.
- Above all, fluency in oral and written English
- Knowledge of Japanese is an advantage.